Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
blandford dave

Hazeley Down Camp

blandford dave

Some time ago I started researching Hazeley Down Camp near Winchester , sadly illness got in the way and the researching ground to a halt . But it now appears that two local Twyford residents have taken up the challenge and are prettty close to publication of what was a pretty large camp that had a major influence on the local villages . I will post further info when I have it . 

"

Twyford World War 1 Remembrance Project

Over the last couple of years you might have read the stories in the Twyford Parish Magazine of the Twyford men on the village’s First World War Memorial at the back of St Mary’s Church. We are in the process of putting all the stories, together with material on the Hazeley Down WW1 Camp and the impact of the war on the village, into a publication. Some new material has been uncovered to enhance some of the men’s stories, and pictures/photographs have been discovered to accompany them.

The purpose of this note is ask if anyone has material that we might be able to please use? Does anyone know of any further family connections to the lost men, pictures of them or any general information/photographs on the village during the First World War that we should be considering as part of the project?

During the next couple of months all these elements will be drawn together into one place to paint a picture of Twyford during the First World War and provide portraits of the men named on our memorial. We are hoping to publish the book by the end of August in time for the 11th November 2018 Centenary Anniversary.

Please contact Vicki Dunlop (01962 or Christopher Pope (01962 ). Very many thanks in advance.

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, sky and outdoor

Julianw

Dave

I have a relative that was stationed at Hazely Down Camp,Twyford- Pte Horace Holder see https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/1925439 and have letters/post cards he sent from the camp if that is of interest.

Julian

Peter Pearce

I have attached some photos I recently found of my dad when he was at Hazeley Down in 1917. He was 17 or 18 at the time, straight out of school. He served in France, where he was wounded and returned to England.

Peter

Hazeley Down, 1917 JP 3rd from left second row up.jpg

Hazeley Down, 1917.jpg

Corps Badge.jpg

Julianw

Peter

Great pictures

Hers is a picture of my great Uncle, Pte Horace Holder at Hazeley Down Camp, . Sadly he did not return from France.

What Regiment was your Father in?

Julian

HH at Camp left hand side at rear (3).jpg

Robin Garrett

Answering before Peter, I'd suggest his great uncle's regiment was the 15th Londons (Prince of Wales's Civil Service Rifles) from the look of the cap badges and the embroidery

Robin

VickiD

Many thanks to Blandford Dave for originally posting my plea for information for our book to honour the memory of the men of Twyford who fought for us during the First World War.  Thank you also to Julianw for getting in touch with me.  Also to Peter Pierce for your extremely clear photographs - as I am new to the workings of this Forum is it possible to contact you via email outside this website page please?  Many thanks to you all.

simmo2

image.thumb.png.3d7c3c7dc2a18c9508922eef7163a931.png

2nd Lt Norman Pristo Keep sitting down left at Hazeley Down, possibly August 1916? He was studying to be an architect and designed the Hazeley Down memorial cross. He transferred to the Tank Corp from the Queens Westminster Rifles. He fought at Cambria before being blown out of his tank and wounded at Morchies 22/03/1918

ClaireMcC
On 25/09/2018 at 15:51, simmo2 said:

image.thumb.png.3d7c3c7dc2a18c9508922eef7163a931.png

2nd Lt Norman Pristo Keep sitting down left at Hazeley Down, possibly August 1916? He was studying to be an architect and designed the Hazeley Down memorial cross. He transferred to the Tank Corp from the Queens Westminster Rifles. He fought at Cambria before being blown out of his tank and wounded at Morchies 22/03/1918

Norman Keep designed my house! 117 Foxgrove Road, BR3 5DA. 

On 25/09/2018 at 15:51, simmo2 said: