Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Regiment 21 Battalion (1st Surrey Rifles)

Stuart Murrow

Hi,

I am researching my Great Uncle William (Bill) Murrow who was a private in the 21 Battalion London Regiment (1 Surrey Rifles) Reg No 4329 / 651721?

From an old poem written by a nephew, I understand that he was injured at the Somme as a runner, shrapnel in the arms and legs and sent back to England.

I enclose his medical card and interested to find out where and when he was injured at the Somme, he was discharged on 15 July 1918. I am planning to visit the Battlefields in August with my Dad to see where various relatives were injured and killed and would be nice to see where he was injured.

Can anybody decipher the cause of the discharge on the card?

I have also attached a picture of my Great Uncle (left in the picture) to put a face to the request.

Kind Regards

Stuart Murrow

IMG_4950.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

Murrow, William Henry  1/21 London R  
Enlisted  30/6/15
France  1a     20/12/16-16/6/17
Discharged (Wounds) 15/7/18  aged 22

BWM, VM and SWB

Source SilverWarBadgeRoll and Card

Stuart

His return to UK 16/6/17 (most probably due to wounding)  would fit with 47th Div (of which 1/21 London R was part) being at the Battles of Messines 7-13 June 1917.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

If you have access to Ancestry the War Diary for 1/21st is here for 7th June 1917 onwards. It has a tremendous amount of detail on platoon activities etc and is worth trawling through.

Charlie

Edit the Bn suffered 244 casualties 6-8th June and another 24 the 9th according to the diary.

Edited by charlie962

Many thanks, Charlie,

That's a great start, yes I have access to Ancestry and will check this all out. 

Kind Regards 

Stuart

Hi Charlie,

This picture was found with my Great Uncle's possessions but I am wondering if this is a picture of the 21 Battalion, the cap badges and emblem on the drums look similar to the 21st (picture not great), but we can't see my Great Uncle. Sadly there are no date or names on the photograph or where it was taken any thoughts?

Regards 

Stuart 

IMG_3206 (2).JPG

Stuart

This is only photo' of the Corps of Drums only.

Dave

Hello there,

Isn't this him in the centre?

W.H.Murrow.png.7601f8575176b1d6afc103dee9518e1b.pngWHMurrow.jpg.9e1174118c712e29424b68f465fbb641.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Drew-1918
Photo not uploaded correctly

• 3 months later...

Hi Chris,

A thousand apologies I have just seen your post! I haven't been on the site for months. I will show my Dad who has the photo, sadly all Uncle Bills relatives have passed away to tell us why this photo was in his possession. 

Many Thanks

Stuart Murrow

Hi Charlie,

I and my Dad visited the area where the War Diaries of 21st Battalion 1st Surrey Rifles were between  7 - 13 June 1917. The diaries but him in this field adjacent to Battle Wood (to the right) and a short distance from Hill 60. Hill 60 was fascinating to visit.  

Thanks once again for your help 

Kind Regards 

Stuart Murrow

IMG_6312.JPG.5150b4e001563d721c201c37cb792cd8.JPG

Edited by Stuart Murrow