Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The German Failure in Belgium, August 1914

joerookery

Well done, Joe.

As to the performance of the German cavalry, Fritz von Loßberg noted that in 1914 the initials H.H.K. (Höhere Kavallerie Kommando) were parodied within the German army as Hier kann keiner führen, translated loosely as 'No-one in charge'. Von Loßberg was at pains to confirm Jack's point that 'the cavalry could not be held to be wholly responsible'. 

Robert

On 22/08/2019 at 20:09, joerookery said:

After the sticker shock wears off tears perhaps   You could see yourself clear to post an Amazon review??? 

Done.

Robert,

Maybe this will convince you to read the entire book despite the price. I can  only apologize. I bought your book on Mons  and as I recall it was very inexpensive. 

In the continuing saga of too little too late. Our publisher has just slashed the price of the book by seven dollars on Amazon.com In the USA. I do not know if they did or will follow through with the British. There are two reviews on Amazon.com UK but I am not sure that the price reduction made that jump. It reminds me of the silver miner going down the mountain to get the payroll in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid. enough said. if you have not read the book you are wrong. Only $10 in Kindle on Amaazon.com us

• 2 months later...

I just got my copy in the mail yesterday

Its very small only 217 pages

Its very expensive

It has very good maps

But it does seem to be quite good.

I've only skimmed through it.

But what really comes out to me so far is just how bad the German cavalry was, and how lucky we are that the Belgians held von Kluck and von Below up for so long.

It also shows the importance of the railways and the tunnels they went through!

yes, the book explains the development of the term operational to fit in between strategy and tactics very well for me.

It also uses an unheard of (for me at least)method of referring to the German armies in the west and the east.

They call them the "numbered armies"

So they speak of the 3 numbered armies on the right flank etc

This struck me as a good idea, the term eg German Army consisting of 8 armies was always a bit incongruous.

They military leaders should have come up with a better term for the grouping above Corps.

5 minutes ago, DigNap15 said:

yes, the book explains the development of the term operational to fit in between strategy and tactics very well for me.

It also uses an unheard of (for me at least)method of referring to the German armies in the west and the east.

They call them the "numbered armies"

So they speak of the 3 numbered armies on the right flank etc

This struck me as a good idea, the term eg German Army consisting of 8 armies was always a bit incongruous.

They military leaders should have come up with a better term for the grouping above Corps.

The French did just the same... If you are used to it, it is immediately clear what is meant.

It is easier in German. Heer refers to the whole army. Armee refers to a specific numbered army unit within the army as whole. Robert

5 hours ago, Robert Dunlop said:

It is easier in German. Heer refers to the whole army. Armee refers to a specific numbered army unit within the army as whole. Robert

Thanks for that.

I'll have to study up on the French side of things