Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Albert Enos Jerrard - Wiltshires?

Acknown

I'm trying to pin down this soldier, known as 'Enos' (b.1885, m.Ethel Riley in Dublin 1918, d.1961). I think he joined the Wiltshires in 1911 and is shown on the census that year as at Le Marchant Barracks, Devizes, possibly under training. His birthplace is recorded in that document as Downton rather than the actual nearby location of Sandleheath, near Fordingbridge, which is one puzzle. In addition I can't find another WW1 reference (MIC, pension etc.) to him. There is however, a Hampshire Albert (12630) who became Labour Corps (669490). Perhaps Albert/Enos was transferred. I don't think he left the Army before the war as he is on a nearby village Roll of Honour as having served - no regiment listed though.

Final thought - he married in Dublin and at least  2/Wilts was there pre-war when he might have met his wife.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Acknown 

Aha. Apologies, it's 1895 and I didn't do my sums. He would have been about 16 in 1911, so possibly not the 'Wiltshire from Downton' (unless he misrepresented his age), though I can't find a Downton-born Albert Jerrard elsewhere.

Acknown

I see he is on 1911 census as Enos Albert, aged 18 so he fibbed about his age but it will be him.

Birth registered Q1 1895 Fordingbridge.

Census 1901 notes birth as Sandleheath. Aged 6. Living at home 89 South end, South Damerham Parish.

Here are a few more random wanderings:

1)

There is an entry for an AE Jerrard in the National Roll of the Great War under 14th Hampshire

A. E JERRARD Volunteering in August 1914, he was retained on home duties until March 1916. He then proceeded to the Western Front and and there saw much service on the Somme, at St. Julien and in the Retreat of 1918, and was twice wounded. He returned home in 1919, and was demobilised, holding the General Service and Victory Medals. 21, Canal Walk, Landport.  ( Landport is Portsmouth)

Cas List 14/11/17 has 12630 A Jerard wounded, hometown/enlistment Portsmouth.

There is a Hospital Admission for A Jerrard, 12630, 14th Hants .  C 31/3/18 trf to hospital ship from 18GH, GSW. But age is 36 ie born 1882 or 3.

I suspect thus that these 14th Hants entries relate to another AE Jerrard who lived at Portsmouth (there is an ex Gunner who might fit this) and is not your man.

2)  There is a tree on Ancestry for Enos Albert. but it doen't help on military service. It notes he died 1961.

3)  I see their son Cecil Ernest was born 1921 Rotherham Yorks. He was already a soldier in the RASC at age 14 ( Inward bound from HongKong).

It would be useful to see if either the 1918 marraige cert or the 1921 birth cert give any clues.

Charlie

Charlie,

Very many thanks. The tree is the correct Jerrard (brothers etc), his son was Cecil and 'Enos' did die in 1961. I agree about the Hampshire Jerrard, but it's strange not to find any mention of a Wiltshire. No Silver Badge for any likely Jerrards either. It's a mystery. Do you know where I might find Wiltshire Regt nominal rolls? NA? The Wardrobe?

Acknown

Think there are various clues he went back into the army as a regular

1918 Electoral Register - Damerham but shows him in military - name shown as Enos Albert

1919 Electoral Register - Damerham but shows him in military - ditto

1932, 1933, 1934 registers in married quarters in barracks. York with Ethel Mary. 

1940 SQMS Enos Albert Jerrard126036 to become Lt. RASC

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34828/supplement/2146

forces war records has a record an E A Jerrard was an acting Major by Aug 1941.

Relinquished commission 1948 on account of disability. Hon Rank Major

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/38253/supplement/2200

now I know this does not help identify his WW1 service but implies MoD will have his records. 

Edited by Mark1959

You are quite right Mark. The MoD have his record

Name: Ea Jerrard
Birth Date: 6 Jan 1895
Service Number: P126036
Reference Number: AOP000022061

Thank you Mark and Charlie - great stuff. How did you get at the electoral roll? I can't find these entries on Ancestry. Do they hint at regiment? Sadly, funds do not permit purchase of the MOD record (many names to do) but I'll keep digging.

Acknown

The electoral rolls do not come up on a search on ancestry but do on fmp.  If you search for E A Jerrard in the British Army lists on ancestry you will see several records in the 1940s always giving him as a Lieutenant. Unfortunately you have to have fold 3 to look at original docs. The 1918 and 1919 just have the usual NM showing he is in the military. They also have a small a against him that I think means absent. 

Mark - Again, many thanks.

Acknown