Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regiment of the Attached Photo

kawasaki

One thing we do know is there are a few around the MGC NCO in the first row of men seated.

Image Cameron Higlanders or Scottish Rifles?

Andy

Edit...I had thought that they could be Canadian too.

Screenshot_20180616-171035.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Mr D - I know nothing of the history of Netheravon. Was is originally an offshoot of Hythe or was it a very separate entity?

Just before WW1 Netheravon was the site of the Cavalry School. Possibly it was chosen for the MG School because Hythe was concentrating on musketry.

Ron

Scottish Horse, far right, seated? Royal Berks, seated, second from left?

Mid-war - no gongs on show and no wound stripes that I can see.

2 hours ago, HolymoleyRE said:

One thing we do know is there are a few around the MGC NCO in the first row of men seated.

Image Cameron Higlanders or Scottish Rifles?

Andy

Edit...I had thought that they could be Canadian too.

Screenshot_20180616-171035.jpg

Don't think he is Canadian; solid glengarry and badge shape not a match for any of the 8 Highland Battalions of the Canadian Corps.  I would say this man is probably HLI; cap badge blurred but possibly a fit and collars a decent match.  Officer at far right sitting is likely Scottish Horse.

19 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Just before WW1 Netheravon was the site of the Cavalry School. Possibly it was chosen for the MG School because Hythe was concentrating on musketry.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I must have known that but if I did it had completely slipped my mind.

The SNCO seated on the ground could be Guards MG Battalion. The SNCO behind him looks like School of Musketry.

Charlie

I think all the evidence points to a Lewis gun course, we see these photographs fairly regularly on the forum; mix of regiments and a Lewis gun in the foreground. I wonder if these were official photographs or the local photographer out to make a little money selling copies to the participants.

On 16/06/2018 at 21:14, charlie2 said:

The SNCO seated on the ground could be Guards MG Battalion. The SNCO behind him looks like School of Musketry.

Charlie

You are correct Charlie with the School of Musketry. However, both the SNCO's are S of M. Both wear the crossed rifles cap badge with the crown above, the chap sat on the floor has a glare on his badge making it seem smaller, but definitely S of M for both SNCO's.

I think they are the instructors for an Officers small arms course.

I cannot, however, work out the Officers badges, and there is no North Staffordshire Cavalry, there is either North Staffordshire Regiment, or Staffordshire Yeomanry.

I'll study the photo and try and work out the Officers.

Hope this helps

Chris

540x360.jpg

The chap seated far right is definitely Scottish Horse, shoulder title and collar badges and bonnet are the give away

Chris

c1gal1gglj864_40.jpg

large_000000.jpg

Edited by Dragoon

Chris thanks for your post. i think the soldier back left looks like my great uncle Herbert Edward Rose. He was in the 7th North Staffordshire Regiment and he was wounded in  Mesoptamia in September 1916.

Here's an Officers bronze service dress collar badge. It may well be North Staffs Regt, the Collar badge may have a separate'T' below it, as worn by Territorial Officers

Chris

p-13956-b1d22fhghr8533_26.jpg

Hello,

Army List for July and October 1916 have Rose H E in the 11th Reserve Battalion, there is no Rose H E in any of the other S. Staffs Regiments. So he may have been attached to the 7th?.

Also, there would have been no T below the Collar badge as it was not Territorial. Also the 7th were a Service Battalion, so no T below that, so I was wrong before.

Cannot make out other units on the photo.

See attached photo of list with his name on undere 11th Bn.

Chris

IMG_20180618_102856873.jpg

Edited by Dragoon

Stand fast on the Collar badge, there was a pattern the same as the cap badge, see picture, so chap standing second left, and first right are I'd say both North Stafford's, so could well be your Great Uncle

Chris

Archive_Officer_South_Staffs_Regt.jpg

On 16/06/2018 at 19:38, Gareth Davies said:

Mr D - I know nothing of the history of Netheravon. Was is originally an offshoot of Hythe or was it a very separate entity?

I was talking through my ****.

The MG School at Netheravon did not open until 1922.

The Cavalry School closed on mobilization in 1914, but re-opened in October 1919. It moved in 1922 when the MG School moved in as a wing of the Small Arms School. Post WW2 the establishment became the Support Weapons Wing of the School of Infantry, under which guise it continued until comparatively recently. Since 1922 then, always a wing of another parent establishment.

Danke.