Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col Edward John Carter 8/9 Aug 1918

ForeignGong

Hi

I'm reading an account of the Battle of Amiens and especially interested in the above officer and his 18 armoured cars running amuck in the Germen rear. Does anyone know what medals / decorations were awarded to these very gallant men. The only awards to E. J. Carter that I can find are MID and an Order of the Star of Roumania, with swords, 4th Cl. LG 19 Sept 1919

LG https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31560/supplement/11748

The account of the armoured cars is real Boys Own type stuff and I would have thought there were some awards, as it states they were "8 Km ahead of the infantry".

Looking forward to any info that can be supplied.

Cheers

Peter

I've checked my copy of the book I mentioned above. The man who found those German plans was Lt Ernest Rollings who seems to have been given a bar to his MC. There was another in his section, LCpl Cecil Rhodes, who might have been awarded the MM. All those concerned were in 17th Armoured Car Battalion Tank Corps. Other names mentioned by Charles Messenger are Lt JT Yeoman, Lts Blencowe and Kenyon, Lts James and Berd. Casualties were very light 4 Officers and 4 men very slightly wounded and one car lost for a result out of all proportion to the number of men and vehicles involved. There is a good summary of the action pages 126-130.

Charlie

According to the Times Carter retires from the Army in 1934 after 32yrs service and lists his career.It is informative but mention no awards to him. Alan

Thank you all.

I am reading a book about Monash and this action has 5 pages, which only covers a very limited description. So I will get Charles' book as I said above, real Boys Own stuff and I'm glad to see some awards were given for a very daring action that looks like it was copied during WW2.

Thanks again

Much appreciated

Peter