Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

L J BRADLEY 6636 2nd Bat KRRC

Furzefarm

My grandfather was supposedly wounded at Ypres in 1914 

i have not been able to find any hospital records or newspaper records about this (apart from a marriage notice “ wounded soldier marries”)

there is nothing in his service records but he was transferred to a boiler company in 1915 in Halifax his home town

but  I did see the following

BRADLEY 1914  6443 2KRR Queen Alexandra Hospital at Millbank 

there is no medal index card for this number and I wondered if it could be my grandfather (6636) with

a mis transcribed number

does anyone have access to these records or can help further

many thanks

furzefarm

16 minutes ago, Furzefarm said:

i have not been able to find any hospital records or newspaper records about this (apart from a marriage notice “ wounded soldier marries”)

there is nothing in his service records but he was transferred to a boiler company in 1915 in Halifax his home town

there is no medal index card for this number and I wondered if it could be my grandfather (6636) with

a mis transcribed number

many thanks

furzefarm

The record for #6443 on Ancestry is a mis-transcription - the actual register shows that #7453 was Bradley, the record for #6443 is for Adams.

Craig

21 minutes ago, Furzefarm said:

a mis transcribed number

many thanks

furzefarm

I can't see any obvious records noting a wounding at Ypres but he was posted back to the UK on 26 Nov 1914, which would be consistent with a wounding.

Craig

The KRRC 1914 OR Wounded list includes ...

4996 Rfn BRADLEY, H

5182 Rfn BRADLEY, F

5885 Rfn BRADLEY, W.

7453 Rfn BRADLEY, E.

No mention of 6636 Rfn BRADLEY, L.J. in the 1914 Wounded list, nor in the KRRC Silver War Badge roll.  He appears in the BW&VM and 1914 Star rolls but with no mention of a discharge.

He was sent back to the UK in Nov 1914.

On his first wife's death in March 1915 he was in No 2 Coy, 6th KRRC - one of the Reserve battalions and based at Queenborough, near Sheerness.

In Dec 1915 he was temporarily released to civilian employment at Lumby, Son and Wood of Greetland Boiler Works, Halifax, who made heating boilers and safes, rather than formally discharged and it looks like he was on the strength of either the Depot or the 6th (Reserve) Bn.  By April 1918 he was in the Class W Reserve doing munitions work at Lumby's.  He was assessed as Medical Category B.  He was a greengrocer in civvy street (presumably his occupation while in the Reserve after his time with the Colours), so one suspects he was in munitions work due to health grounds rather than any specific skill - though of course a time-served ex-Regular would have a certain degree of armourer knowledge.

Explanation of Class W Reserve from the Mother Site ...

Introduced in June 1916 by Army Order 203/16 under Section 12 of the recent Military Service Act. This new class of reserve was ‘for all those soldiers whose services are deemed to be more valuable to the country in civil rather than military employment’. Men in these classes were to receive no emoluments from army funds and were not to wear uniform. They were liable at any time to be recalled to the colours. From the time a man was transferred to Class W, until being recalled to the Colours, he was not subject to military discipline.

No mention of any 1914 wounding in his service record.

Looks like he died of pneumonia in Halifax in Nov 1918.  This could easily be related to the influenza epidemic.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

• 4 weeks later...

The Halifax Courier mentions Lewis Bradley on 2 occasions.

Firstly on 2nd January 1915

WOUNDED SOLDIERS WEDDING

On Christmas Day the wedding took place at Halifax of Private Lewis J Bradley, King's Own Royal Rifles, who was wounded at Ypres. His bride was Miss Alice Binns oldest daughter of the late Mr Fred Binns, of New Park Road, Queensbury.

Then on 7th December 1918

Rfn LEWIS BRADLEY (30) 65 Rochdale Road, West Vale died of pneumonia, following influenza at St Luke's War Hospital on Nov 29. He was interred on Wednesday at Stoney Royd Cemetery with full military honours. He served with the King's Royal Rifles joining at the outbreak of war receiving the Mons ribbon. He was wounded and transferred to munitions being in the employ of Messrs Lumbys, West Vale. Married he leaves a widow and two children.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rob