Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW Taken 15 June 1918

Gareth Davies

Does anyone know how many British soldiers were taken prisoner on 15 June 1918 up on the Asiago plateau?

And if no one knows, might someone know how I might go about working out the answer? 

2 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

And if no one knows, might someone know how I might go about working out the answer? 

Operations Diary???

Perhaps Killed + Missing per Operations Diary -then minus 329,which is the CWGC total of deaths for that day in Italy. Not exact but should give a taste. Looks like some units were overrun- Royal Engineers for example

The only book which might give a specific number seems to be Scheidl, Franz J.: Die Kriegsgefangenschaft von den ältesten Zeiten bis zur Gegenwart, Berlin 1943, p. 97.. There is a sole copy in the UK on COPAC  at the Wiener Library

Diary of Operations

War Office: Directorate of Military Operations and Military Intelligence, and predecessors: Correspondence and Papers. ITALY. Diary of Operations.

Held by: The National Archives - War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Date: 01 May 1917 - 30 November 1918
Reference: WO 106/776
Subjects: Armed Forces (General Administration) | Army | Conflict | Diaries | Europe and Russia | Intelligence | Operations, battles and campaigns
Edited by Guest

18 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Does anyone know how many British soldiers were taken prisoner on 15 June 1918 up on the Asiago plateau?

Not knowing much about the campaign, which formations/units were involved?

It was the 48th and 23rd Divs.  Their laydown was:

48 Div fwd left.  The front line of the Div was, from left to right, 1 Bn from 143 Bde (5 Warwicks), 2 Bns from 145 Bde (5 Glos, 4 OBLI).

23 Div fwd right.  From left to right 3 Bns from 68 Bde (11 NF, 12 DLI, 13 DLI), 2 Bns from 70 Bde (9 Y&L, 11th SF N&D).

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Have I read the Military Effort Stats (here on archive.org p330)correctly which imply that total 250 British ORs were taken PoW in italy by the Austrians in the whole war?  This would put an outer limit on your search. Just seems very small.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie.

I have the 23rd Division history. I'll have a look this evening and see if it says anything.

Not much help I'm afraid: my copy of the 23rd's History is in a box at present (I'm trying to reorganise) and not easily accessible. The History of the HAC (7th Division) indicates that the 23rd's front held firm and any gains by the Austrians was at the expense of the 48th. The 7th stood to but weren't required.

From the 23rd Division History, pages 267-8: Casualties for 15th June: 8 officers, 86 other ranks killed, 24 officers, 388 ORs wounded, 1 officer, 48 ORs missing.  It doesn't mention how many of the missing turned up as PoWs.

Thank you.