Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An Announcement

CROONAERT

Just a quick announcement.....

...As from Monday January 31st, I will no longer be conducting any "look ups" ,either on forum or off, from any of the Regimental Histories that I have listed in this section (namely East, North and South Lancs, East and West Yorks, Yorks Regiment, HAC, 4/Kings Own, Border Regiment, King's Liverpools, Irish Guards, 10th,11th,12th and 21st Manchesters, Glosters, Devonshire Regt, West Kents, Middlesex Regt, Suffolk Regt., KOYLI, Canterbury Regt, Hampshires, Royal Fusiliers, Norfolk Regt.,Worcester regt., Lincolnshire Regt., 16th Infantry, DOL Yeomanry, 14th and 15th Warwicks,etc. etc.).

I will do any on forum look-ups for any of these regiments that are requested before midnight 30th/31st January.

Thanks.

Dave.

Dave,

Sorry to hear of this but fully understand the reasoning behind your decision. Many thanks for the look ups that you have done and the help received from you. Its just a shame that peoples abuse of your good nature has resulted in this action.

Andy

I don't know what happend, but I hope we still can enjoy a bit of your magnificent work here.

THx,

kristof

Dave

The look ups you have done for me have been fabulous and very informative. It is very sad that there a minority of people out there who take advantage of your kind services. Unfortuneatly those people are now spoiling it for people such as myself who are doing genuine research for a family relative. your look ups and kind services have fueled my interest in WW1 and I thnk you so much for your time. Trust me, you will be missed.

Best regards Aaron Nelson.

Dave

Very many members of this Forum owe thanks to you for the help and advice you've given over the last couple of years. Few of us have such an extensive library and/or the willingness to give so freely of their time.

Folk will assume that "something" has happened to cause this decision but I also assume that your energies are to about to be directed elsewhere. ;)

regards

John

Sorry to hear of any 'abuses' that have happened Dave. I can only echo John when i say many thanks for the help you have provided me in the past, i, for one, hope that you still on the other hand, remain an active member of the Forum.

All the best, Chris.

Hi Dave,

I would like to personally thank you for all your assistance in the past.

I understand your decision I just have one question:

What are you going to do with all that free time???

Take care,

Neil

Dave

Apart from the 'lookups', will you still be around?

Martin

ps Is it not a shame that there are people who are prepared to abuse others' kindness?

Dave

Having benefited from your extensive knowledge and kindness in the past, which was not solicited and given freely may I place on record my heartfelt thanks.

Cliff.

Following on from these posts and from several, rather unexpected PM's, I think I'd better clarify the situation as I think I've been misunderstood by several people(apart from by John, who knew I was about to do this anyway!!! :P ).

1... I'm not leaving the forum (unless anyone wants me to - then tough luck, I'm still not going!!!!)

2...As far as I'm aware no-one ,either on-forum or off-forum, has abused the services I've provided. Even email requests have fallen 75% since my "whinge" back in September in which I stated that I'd ignore them and only do "on forum" requests.

3...I'll probably still do look-ups when and if I feel like it, but not in the "document repositry" section. I'll be just as active in other sections of the forum (maybe).

4...the reason for this decision is that, of late, I've been spending several hours a week just doing "look-ups",scans,resizing,posting,etc. I've got several ongoing projects at the moment (one which simply has to be completed in the next 3 or 4 months) and these are suffering at the moment because of the amount of time being spent on other people's projects. This time, I believe, should be spent on my own projects first - after all, this is the reason why I bought the histories in the first place!!!

I think that clears it up!

(thanks for the concern, by the way)

Dave. :)

(one which simply has to be completed in the next 3 or 4 months)

Unconnected with early April, perchance?

Not much time after then, mate. ;)

Dave,

Many thanks for the valued assistance tendered to myself. Fully understand and best of luck with your own projects. You are now qualified to enter into J.Hartley's Utterley Off Topic debates :(

Roop

Dave,

Just wanted to add my name to the long list of the grateful.

You have given us all that most precious of things - your time. Many thanks.

You are now qualified to enter into J.Hartley's Utterley Off Topic debates :(

Roop

I DEMAND clarification (and/or satisfaction)

Is your unsmiling smiley related to the fact that Dave might now contribute to one of my Utterly threads. Or simply to the fact that I start such threads?

John

Evening John,

Neither

The roast beef yorkshire salad question would have filled Croonearts newly spare hours admirably. I trust that new and exciting threads are in the offing.

The unsmiley face is not sadness or despair it is the expectation of several hundred posts to read on the disparate and various subjects and sub threads. I fear Crooneart may never complete his project if he gets the bug for mince meat recipes, uses and consumption methods.

Roop

Maybe Dave is destined for one of John's ritual sacrifices.

Maybe Dave is destined for one of John's ritual sacrifices.

Before I return this thread to my fellow northwesterner, can I just mention that, whilst human sacrifice may be your thing, dahn sarf, but round here the most exotic we get is the odd ritual with the whippets.

• 3 weeks later...
I will do any on forum look-ups for any of these regiments that are requested before midnight 30th/31st January.

Sorry folks, The time has now come and gone!

This service is now suspended for the foreseeable future!

Thanks,

Dave. :)

Dave

just like to say many, many thanks for the look up you did for me.

All The Best

Chris