Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWGC Headstone Mystery

TullochArd

I have a "special layout" IWGC headstone in my local Cemetery marking a grave shared by two brothers.  It is in Rawtenstall Municipal Cemetery, Rossendale, Lancashire and describes the two internments which are both recorded on IWGC Report A and B and additional Schedule S under a single entry for "S. BISHOP / ABLE SEAMAN. RN. MZ/4507 / H.M.S. PEMBROKE / 1ST NOVEMBER 1918. AGE 18 /"

Now the mystery - his brother "RECRUIT / W. BISHOP / 5TH MAY 1919 AGE 24 /" (refers to Walter Bishop b.1896 d. 1919).  I thought Attestation would have created an actual rank and a number and holding unit?  Has anyone ever seen anything along these lines before ….. or has a suggestion as to what might be going on here?  The associated crest on the headstone is a GS Badge.

Walter Bishop.jpg

I can't see any entry for this W. Bishop in the CWGC's Debt of Honour Register, but if you send them a query you may get more from their records.  Other sources might include a local newspaper for May 1919 and possibly a death certificate.

D

Nothing obvious in the effects records - there should be an entry, even if just confirm he was not entitled to a war gratuity (I'd expect he'd have less than 6 month's service if he was a soldier).

If he was serving then he should have had a service number - unless he was an officer cadet ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Many thanks for the replies - really useful.  Here's the CWGC Record that records both burials in the same grave...….

Bishops x 2.jpg

I may be wrong here, but if he was recruited after the Armistice then he wouldn't necessarily be entitled to commemoration by CWGC would he?  Hence no service number given. The family may just have been given permission by CWGC to bury the brother in the same grave.

BillyH.

8 minutes ago, BillyH said:

I may be wrong here, but if he was recruited after the Armistice then he wouldn't necessarily be entitled to commemoration by CWGC would he?  Hence no service number given. The family may just have been given permission by CWGC to bury the brother in the same grave.

BillyH.

CWGC covered up to August 1921 when hostilites officially ceased.

Craig