Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Hector Jackson. 830309. 1st Worcester Bty. R.F.A.

GWF1967

Hi,

I recently purchased an Army Book 136 which belonged to James Hector Jackson,  830309 ( formerly 2132 ); 1st Worcester Bty, 2nd South Midland Bde.  T.F. R.F.A.

According to his service record he enlisted 28/1/1914, aged 14, and was examined 1/2/1914, confusingly it goes on to say he was "appointed" Trumpeter 1st Worcs Bty. 1/7/1913", "embodied" Trumpeter 2nd S/Midland Bde. 5/8/1914" and "Mustered", Driver. 418th Amm. Col. 9/9/1917. 

Could anyone explain the appointment as a trumpeter 7 months before enlistment, and/or the difference between embodied and mustered please?

The book is filled with notes, gun team? positions, gun drill, ranging, ammunition etc, and has extra pages sewn in with questions regarding the 18 pdr Q.F Gun and "Battery Tactics.

The front cover ( was the back) had pencil writing, unfortunately long faded, on the inside is a list of names and addresses including;   ?? Snape, 96 Edwards Road Erdington  ( Charles Henry Snape - T-479, Cheshire F. Coy.. T-R.E. ? ),   165263 Edward Percy Oates, 59 Davisville Rd, Shepherds Bush and James' details; "830309  418th amm'n Colum (S.M) Thorpe-Le- Soken. (Between Colchester and Clacton, Essex). 

Any help identifying the others on the list would be greatly appreciated. 

I read them as,

?? 39 Rowley, Hill St.     ? Jeffrey 141 Hylton Rd.     Sgt. Redgwell. Avoca, Victoria Rd.    S.M. Crowther. 9 Herbert St, Clayton Bradford.    2m S. Seymour.  T.F. Records, Woolwich.    Sgt. Bowlby. Bowlby Preece Hotel. Broad St. or Oak cottage, Hunter Cycles + Sidecar, Lightwoods Hill, Warley (B'Ham?). Southwell House, 50 Southwell St, Kingsdown, B'tol. 

30599_156529-00216 (1).jpg

Scan_20180608 (2).jpg

Scan_20180608 (4).jpg

Scan_20180608 (5).jpg

Scan_20180609 (2).jpg

Scan_20180608 (6).jpg

Excellent purchase you have made there.

17 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Could anyone explain the appointment as a trumpeter 7 months before enlistment, and/or the difference between embodied and mustered please?

I've not seen this before but I guess it is because he attended the previous summer camp with his father. He was too young to join then so had to wait until his 14th birthday. Look at who witnessed his signature on joining, he would have needed parental consent to join as a trumpeter at that age. Embodied means he and his unit were, from that date, under War Office control and the men could not return home without being granted leave. For 1st Line TF units this is usually August 5, 1914. Mustered, as far as I'm aware, is a reclassification based on the War Establishment of the unit. A vacancy for a Driver had occurred and he was the most suitable person to fill it. Normally it would be a Gunner mustered as Driver or vice versa in order to maintain the correct War Establishment for each grade. 

17 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

2m S. Seymour.  T.F. Records, Woolwich.

This is Q.M.S. or Quartermaster Sergeant Seymour. However, I cannot place any of your other names yet.

5 hours ago, David Porter said:

Excellent purchase you have made there.

I've not seen this before but I guess it is because he attended the previous summer camp with his father. He was too young to join then so had to wait until his 14th birthday. Look at who witnessed his signature on joining, he would have needed parental consent to join as a trumpeter at that age. Embodied means he and his unit were, from that date, under War Office control and the men could not return home without being granted leave. For 1st Line TF units this is usually August 5, 1914. Mustered, as far as I'm aware, is a reclassification based on the War Establishment of the unit. A vacancy for a Driver had occurred and he was the most suitable person to fill it. Normally it would be a Gunner mustered as Driver or vice versa in order to maintain the correct War Establishment for each grade. 

This is Q.M.S. or Quartermaster Sergeant Seymour. However, I cannot place any of your other names yet.

Thank you for your help with the terminology, thoughts and tips;  it is greatly appreciated.  His father was witness to his attestation.

I was talking to the owner of a shop when the book arrived, paired with a tankard presented to an officer of the R.A.O.C in 1947;  I was called in as an "independent expert" :huh:,   un-paired the items, and was the proud owner of the book almost immediately the seller had left the shop.   

£5 poorer -  an excellent purchase indeed.