Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bardess

Cannot find birth/census/baptism entries for above. Mother, Dora hasn't helped in the search either. I have BWM & VM Medal Roll, MIC, SER and SDGW. Any help greatly appreciated.

SER - GWF.jpg

CWGC.jpg

Edited by Bardess

William Denis Wheeler - Birth registered Wolverhampton 1896.

The father was Lionel Brough Wheeler. He appears to have married William's mother, Annie Leyland Coates, in Leeds in 1885). He then seems to have married Dora Gillespie in 1901 and then separated in 1911. He died in 1914.

LG - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30312/supplement/10037/data.pdf

Wolverhampton's War - https://wolverhamptonswar.wordpress.com/2018/04/24/william-denis-wheeler/

Edited by IPT

I take my hat off to you, sir. Just wonderful. Thanks so much. And I would never have considered searching the LG either! Fantabulous

[My computer is struggling to open the Wordpress doc; no idea why]

10 minutes ago, Bardess said:

[My computer is struggling to open the Wordpress doc; no idea why]

William (mainly known as Denis), was born in Wolverhampton in 1896, the son of Lionel Brough and Annie Lyland Wheeler. In 1901, Denis was living with his father and siblings Florence, Arnold, Gladys, Violet and Vincent, at 2 Allen Road. Their mother Annie, did not appear with them in either the 1901 or the 1911 census, but she was still alive. By 1911, Denis was living at 229 Hordern Road, Wolverhampton, with his father, and brothers Vincent and Gordon Gillespie. Denis attended the Wolverhampton Grammar and St Jude’s Schools. He later spent a period living in Edgbaston with his mother.

At the age of 18, Denis joined the Motor Transport section of the Army Service Corps (number M2/114120). He later moved to the field ambulance. He was awarded the Military Medal, which was announced in the Express & Star on 25 August 1917. However, he was wounded, and died of his wounds on 27 May 1918. He is buried at the Marfaux British Cemetery in France.

Thanks once again, IPT. I will forward the LG to CWGC to have his MM added to their database. I wonder why he is on the Smethwick RoH?

14 minutes ago, chaz said:

his MM would have been gazetted.

Thanks Chaz. I didn't even know he was awarded an MM

His mother Annie Leyland Wheeler (nee Coates) died in 1899 aged 36yrs. There is another Annie L Wheeler b 1881. Doria would have been his step mother.

Edited by BarbaraG

Refs: Find My Past

Marriage details - Walsall Advertiser 21 Dec. 1901 

Birmingham Daily Post 27 August 1917 Military Medal

Edited by BarbaraG
Removed refs.

1 hour ago, IPT said:

William (mainly known as Denis), was born in Wolverhampton in 1896, the son of Lionel Brough and Annie Lyland Wheeler. In 1901, Denis was living with his father and siblings Florence, Arnold, Gladys, Violet and Vincent, at 2 Allen Road. Their mother Annie, did not appear with them in either the 1901 or the 1911 census, but she was still alive. By 1911, Denis was living at 229 Hordern Road, Wolverhampton, with his father, and brothers Vincent and Gordon Gillespie. Denis attended the Wolverhampton Grammar and St Jude’s Schools. He later spent a period living in Edgbaston with his mother.

At the age of 18, Denis joined the Motor Transport section of the Army Service Corps (number M2/114120). He later moved to the field ambulance. He was awarded the Military Medal, which was announced in the Express & Star on 25 August 1917. However, he was wounded, and died of his wounds on 27 May 1918. He is buried at the Marfaux British Cemetery in France.

A woman missing from the 1911 census may have done so deliberately as part of the Suffragette movement

9 minutes ago, aradgick said:

A woman missing from the 1911 census may have done so deliberately as part of the Suffragette movement

According to post #7, she died in 1899 and the article is mistaken.

PS - I suspect that you watched the Michelle Keegan WDYTYA.

Wheeler was paid a war gratuity of £14 (net) - this was £17 gross and gives 36 months qualifying service. This would suggest enlistment in the month from 28 May 1915.

By way of comparison M2/114127 was issued on 19 June 1915.

Craig

55 minutes ago, aradgick said:

Yes, indeed, some women did so but not Dora as I've found her living in Bearwood Road, Smethwick - just the connection I was looking for ^_^

44 minutes ago, IPT said:

I've popped that info onto the Wolverhampton page

40 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Wheeler was paid a war gratuity of £14 (net) - this was £17 gross and gives 36 months qualifying service. This would suggest enlistment in the month from 28 May 1915.

By way of comparison M2/114127 was issued on 19 June 1915.

And what a finish - 3:26am and you can't wipe the grin off my face. Thanks Craig. Brilliant stuff.

Thank you all for delving and coming up trumps. You're the best!

• Admin

Do you want/need a grave photo? Will be there in a couple of weeks 

Michelle 

That's a very kind offer, Michelle, but I already have one. It wouldn't hurt to let him know that he is remembered though :poppy:

Dear All,

A brilliant demonstation of the power of expertise and computer know-how which is the Great War Forum.

I can well imagine Diane's unmitigated pleasure, at learning of the Military Medal award - a high honour, which the recipient sadly failed to derive satisfaction from...

Well done, those Members!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hear hear, Kim, it was an outstanding achievement [but I don't recommend trying to sleep after such an event ^_^]

15 hours ago, IPT said:

PS - I suspect that you watched the Michelle Keegan WDYTYA.

I did, but I knew that already from family history research