Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Court martial ?

madman

Hi could anyone please clarify if this soldier was or wasnt court martialed please it would be most appreciated 

1321 pte w sharrah e yorks reg 

All the best 

Was.

There is a link through from 1321 EYR to 30803 ELR to 617882. AWOL from 18/8/17 to 24/9/17. Tried at DCM at Withensea and sentenced to 56 days detention 5/10/17. Went to France on 14/10/17 where he joined the ELR

Not sure why his E Lancs R service is not noted on his MIC or the medal rolls but he loses a finger with them in March 1918. To Labour Corps 1/9/18

29 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Was.

There is a link through from 1321 EYR to 30803 ELR to 617882. AWOL from 18/8/17 to 24/9/17. Tried at DCM at Withensea and sentenced to 56 days detention 5/10/17. Went to France on 14/10/17 where he joined the ELR

Not sure why his E Lancs R service is not noted on his MIC or the medal rolls but he loses a finger with them in March 1918. To Labour Corps 1/9/18

Thanks for this mark much appreciated is there any idication what the court martial was for ? All the best 

Absent without leave. Looks to me that he had an infected hand in France in July (there is a medical record on FWR - Etaples). Sent home. Went AWOL for a month. Once he had returned he was tried and sentenced. Instead of serving his sentence he was sent back to the BEF where he joined 2/4 ELR.

Amazing I just looked at this one and live in Withernsea. Is the gent from this area? 

Hull - Sculcoates man. At time of his AWOL his unit is given as 3EYR. Suspect an admin posting whilst back from France. They were based in Withernsea from April 1916 so hence the District Court Martial was there. 

The Dinsdale list has him as absent voter in 1918 with the 30803 number and says 2/4 EYR. But according to LLT they were in Bermuda so that is not correct and docs show 2/4 E Lancs. They merged into 1/4 ELR in Feb 1918. He would have been unlucky to have lost a finger from a GSW in Bermuda. 

Edited by Mark1959

Mark what’s the Dinsdale list and where do I find it please?

Thanks that great should help with the war Memorial in Withernsea I am looking at .