Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

COCKERILL, Thomas William

june54

Hello All

I hope someone can help with this query.

My sister and I are currently researching men of our local village (Stokenchurch) who enlisted/were conscripted for service during WW1. We have found in the Parish Registers a burial for Thomas William Cockerill who was buried 28 Feb 1917 aged 22 described as "A soldier of the Great War". His home address is given as The Barley Mow, Stokenchurch. He was born 23 Aug 1894 to William John Cockerill and Sarah Ann King. He had two brothers who both served Henry Talbot Cockerill (Royal Bucks Hussars, Private 2784; Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, Private, 203568; Labour Corps, Private, 434434) who died at Reading War Hospital on 21 Nov 1918 and who is also buried in Stokenchurch Cemetery, and  Edwin John Cockerill (Army Service Corps, Private, DM2/221165) who survived. We have found a possible death record for Thomas - Holborn 1b 813 (Holborn War Hospital perhaps?). We have checked the Buckinghamshire Remembers website and they do not have any record of him. It is strange his brother Henry is remembered on the village War Memorial but he is not. Are you able to shed any light on this for us.
I have contacted the CWGC who have not been able to help.
Thanks in anticipation.

Hi

on Ancestry the Medal Index cards (free to registered people) shows these suggestions

View Record T WCockerill Royal Air Force 25416 mag_m.gif
View Record Thomas WCockerill Royal Engineers, Labour Corps 128364, 514987 mag_m.gif
View Record Thomas WCockerill Royal Engineers 189760, WR/287513 mag_m.gif
View Record Thomas WCockerill Leicestershire Regiment 3141, 240991 mag_m.gif
View Record Thomas WCockerill 6 Yorks R, York and Lancaster Regiment 23341, 58383 mag_m.gif

Hi Jonbem

Thanks for these suggestions but unfortunately, they are not our man.  It seems odd that he died in 1917 and the burial register states he was "soldier of the Great War" but the CWGC has no record of his death and he is not mentioned on the local memorial alongside his brother.