Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

4th Black Watch casualty figures for the battle of Neuve Chapelle ?

Robyboy

My grandfather was in the Black Watch, 4th battalion ( territorials ).

( City of Dundee )

In 1915 they were involved in 3 big battles

1) battle of Neuve Chapelle ? officers ? men
2) battle of Aubers Ridge 7 officers 167 men
3) battle of Loos 19 officers 230 men

I can find their casualty nos for Aubers Ridge and Loos, but not Neuve Chapelle !
Please help!, can anybody give me their casualty figures for the battle of Neuve Chapelle ?

Robyboy,

Welcome to the forum.

The War Diary for the 4th Black Watch may give you the answer. It is available at The National Archives http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7356140 for £3.50. It is also available on Ancestry https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=UKWarDiariesWWI&gss=sfs28_ms_db&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&MS_AdvCB=1&gskw=3948%2F2&gskw_x=1&MSAV=2&uidh=9y4      if you have a subscription.

Regards,

Alf McM

On 13/06/2018 at 11:33, Robyboy said:

I can find their casualty nos for Aubers Ridge and Loos, but not Neuve Chapelle !
Please help!, can anybody give me their casualty figures for the battle of Neuve Chapelle ?

Robyboy

You should be able to access Ancestry at your local library if you do not subscribe. In the WD linked by Alf above you can find a casualty list on p 196/693 which has a breakdown for 10 to 13/03/1915. I have just been looking up the Official Casualty Lists in the Times and the Neuve Chapelle casualties are shown from 08 to 12/04/1915 if you are looking for anyone in particular. The lists are also in The Scotsman.

Brian