Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What is this uniform?

tashhh

Hi,

My great-granddad, Bertie Falkner, of Wellingborough / Irchester, Northamptonshire, was born in 1899. He served in World War I, in the 7th Battalion Norfolk Regiment, soldier number 41110. He went on to serve in India with the 2nd Battalion Norfolk Regiment, number 5765029. I have photos of him in his Norfolks uniform.

However, I also have a photo of him in a hussar-style uniform. Cab anybody give me some background on it, or identify it? Thanks.

1588659120_BertieFalknerWW1.jpg.94d8e47b08b21a5443b3476ccb259fed.jpg

It looks like a Yeomanry uniform.  The regular Hussar regiments had adopted a much simpler form of frogging (chest decoration), whereas many yeomanry regiments retained a more elaborate style harking back to the early Victorian era. The King’s Own Norfolk Yeomanry were dressed as Lancers.  I suggest that you consider the Yorkshire Hussars Yeomanry (see image), although it seems very far from home.

e8ac2cfbd62139fd6fdc46c9e29eb505.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It looks like a Yeomanry uniform.  The regular Hussar regiments had adopted a much simpler form of frogging (chest decoration), whereas many yeomanry regiments retained a more elaborate style harking back to the early Victorian era. The King’s Own Norfolk Yeomanry were dressed as Lancers.  I suggest that you consider the Yorkshire Hussars Yeomanry (see image), although it seems very far from home.

e8ac2cfbd62139fd6fdc46c9e29eb505.jpg

That does look a lot like his uniform, thank you! Is there any way of finding out if he was involved with the Yorkshire Regiment? He was far from Norfolk but joined them, so it is possible he may have been involved.

I know he served with the 2nd Battalion Norfolk in India until 1921, but he didn't marry until 1926, so perhaps he joined between 1921-26?

Is there a way of finding this out online, or does the MOD still hold his records for post-WWI service?

Thank you for your help.

2 hours ago, tashhh said:

That does look a lot like his uniform, thank you! Is there any way of finding out if he was involved with the Yorkshire Regiment? He was far from Norfolk but joined them, so it is possible he may have been involved.

I know he served with the 2nd Battalion Norfolk in India until 1921, but he didn't marry until 1926, so perhaps he joined between 1921-26?

Is there a way of finding this out online, or does the MOD still hold his records for post-WWI service?

Thank you for your help.

The Army was significantly reduced in size after 1921, in order to reflect a peacetime Army (albeit with traditional garrisons overseas, especially in India), but he might have been able to re-enlist from around the mid-1920s. Advice on tracing records can be found here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-after-1913/

Edited by FROGSMILE