Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What Brigade?

andrew pugh

Good Morning All

Could anyone tell me which Brigade the 1/8th Royal Scots (Pioneer) belonged to in March 1918? I know that they were part of the 51st H/Division, but i would like to know what brigade, and would that brigade war diary be available on line like Ancestry. Hope someone can help. I have a copy of the 1/8th Royal Scots war diary for March 1918 but would like to get another combined view of the actions which took place on the 24th March 1918 particularly mid afternoon up until it started to get dark.

Would there also be any mention of the signaller unit that was part of of the brigade. I look forward to any comments.

Kind Regards

Andy  

Hi,

They wouldn’t be in any Brigade.

All Pioneer Battalions were termed Divisional Troops - see attached 51st Division order of battle from Long Long Trail that will also likely answer your signal unit query.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/51st-highland-division/

Steve

Hello Andy

As well as looking at the War Diary of 1/8th Royal Scots, you could look at the Official History, France and Belgium 1918 volume I, to see if the battalion was temporarily attached to one of the brigades within 51st Division during March. In the circumstances of that month there was a degree of improvisation in the structuring of that division, and of many others affected by the German attacks.

Ron

With pioneer battalions it's often worth looking at the war diary for the divisional CRE (Commander Royal Engineers) as the pioneers were generally tasked under RE direction.

For 51st Division in March 1918 this is WO 95/2852/4.  Clearly 24 March was not a time for standard pioneer duties though.

A good summary overview for 51st Div 24 Mar is in the OH pp.437-9.  This confirms 1/8 RS were fighting alongside 153 Inf Bde at this time, as were also 401st and 404th Field Companies, RE.  These diaries would also be worth checking. 

They were in the Red Line south of the Bapaume-Cambrai main road.

I have the regimental history at home, plus a reprint of the divisional history. I'm away overnight but will try and remember to look tomorrow evening. 

Good Evening to you All

Thank's to you all for your replies and advise

Regards

Andy