Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded Soldier

My uncle L/ 2176 Sergeant William Warbrick Royal Field Artillery was wounded on I think 6th July 1916,is there anyway I can find out how he was wounded.Unfortnatly William was killed the following year. Thank You.Robert Warbrick

Died 28 July 1917  was in 30th trench mortar battery .

maybe if war diary is available the action may have been reported if not him named. Can't do much on iPad at work.

mic has him as W Warbrick and deceased entitled to 14/15 star trio with plaque. Entered France 28/11/1915

Morning Robert, 

2176 Sgt W Warbrick appears on the War Office casualty list published in Times dated 28th Sept 1916, so rule of thumb starting point is 4 weeks previous.

His name was also published in the Cumberland local papers

Name mentioned in the Cumberland News on 30/09/1916 on page/column 5D.

Regards

Andy

Screenshot_20180612-070137.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

On 11/06/2018 at 13:47, longlegs said:

My uncle L/ 2176 Sergeant William Warbrick Royal Field Artillery was wounded on I think 6th July 1916,is there anyway I can find out how he was wounded.Unfortnatly William was killed the following year. Thank You.Robert Warbrick

Welcome.

That number, prefixed by L, was allocated to the locally raised County Palatine Royal Artillery in 1915, 148 Brigade RFA I believe. Soldiers Died in the Great War shows that he enlisted in Liverpool and resided in Everton. The Register of Soldier's Effects shows that he was serving with 30 Div Trench Motar Battery when he was killed in 1917. He may have been serving with 148 Brigade in 1916. There is a good chance that his 1916 wound will be in the Liverpool papers.

Brian 

Edited by brianmorris547

chaz.Andy and Brian thank you all for your reply's.Andy I have a copy of the Cumberland News you mention,My uncle William was serving in the Liverpool Police has a sergeant when he enlisted.Brian I will see if I can find anything in the Liverpool papers of the time.there is no mention of William in the police papers of the time,my eldest sister reckons years ago someone mentioned that he was injured while dug in along side a railway line which was bombed,but she is not sure if that's right.Thanks Again.Robert Warbrick

The war gratuity paid to 2176's family was £14 (net). This would be £17 gross - for a serjeant this gives 30 months qualifying service and indicates enlistment in the month from 29 January 1915.

Craig

Hi Robert,

From the image that Andy posted, I saw a couple of records. 44907 Wicks has some service papers which show that he was admitted to (113 Field Ambulance on 10.6.1916 and) 1/3 London Field Ambulance on 20.8.1916.   98120 Young has a 'hospital' admission/discharge register record which show that he was admitted 31 Ambulance Train on 21.8.1916. Wider sampling of men in the article should help, but it seems that William may have been wounded around the 20th August 1916.

Regards

Chris

• 3 years later...

Hi Robert,

I cannot give any info regarding William Warbrick's wound but I did make a couple of posts regarding John "Jack" William Ward who was killed on the same day with William - 28th July 1917

See posts:

Corporal Jack William Ward RFA

Jack William Ward RFA 77451 

On the second post I have added some wedding photos from 2nd April 1917 - there is a TMB sergeant - bit of a long shot but could this be William Warbrick?

Hope this helps

Mick

• Admin

Unfortunately,Robert is no longer a member of the forum, as denoted by Guest.