Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Small Box respirator markings

kylet183

Hi everyone,

My first post on here and i am not familiar with forums so please forgive me if ive posted in the wrong spot or anything of the sort!

So after a long and expensive search, i finally have picked myself up an absolutely mint British model Small Box respirator!

I was unable to find any info on any of the markings on the mask and the bag, other than the obvious size 4, and 1917 manufacture date.

I have seen the K on the front of a few masks but not all.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kyle.

IMG_4107[5894].PNG

DSC_0039[5860].JPG

DSC_0048[5916].JPG

DSC_0042[5910].JPG

I can't help with any of the markings but what I can say is that you have done very well to find a SBR in that condition. I gave up trying to find one years ago and opted for an enhanced reproduction which could cope with being handled etc. Well done.

David  

Incredible condition for being 101-yrs old!

I have done a little playing with the images to try to enhance the markings, although it has only improved matters slightly.SBR-1_ybk.jpg.20551ba2e3b793cf8a3223213df50268.jpgSBR-2_ybk.jpg.51f183ef244035a7f717b841b6053f18.jpg

The maker looks like "Waring & Gillow Ltd."

Interesting markings below the W & G stamp, perhaps you can "unroll" the bag to capture the rest of that image.

Regards,

JMB

Here is another "enhancement"......SBR-3_ydt.jpg.67e07e5e6379d8963bbd9e68b8c9533c.jpg

Seems to be a number "30?".

Regards,

JMB

5 hours ago, GRANVILLE said:

... I gave up trying to find one years ago and opted for an enhanced reproduction which could cope with being handled etc. ...

Very wise, David, and something I wish I had done a few years ago when my 'almost excellent condition' SBR with (pretty rare) early flutter valve protector got wrecked by rough handling from the general public during a display. (Below is an image before the damage and a shot of it after someone nearly ripped the valve off. I could have cried!)

Dave.

SBR Mk.I.JPG

IMGP7619.JPG

Thanks for your help everyone!

It should be turning up any day this week so i can take some images of it on a mannequin head for a better view!

I am also excited to see if there is anything in the log book.

Ive been searching for one for at least 2 years now and when one finally turned up (Half as good condition as this one), i paid for it, only for system problems on the sellers site to not show my payment and for them to sell it to someone else! The seller sold me this one out of his own personal collection to help me out, although it was double the price... But more than happy to pay as i dont think id ever find one better!

DSC_0038[5856].JPG

DSC_0049[5848].JPG

DSC_0041[5840].JPG

DSC_0033[5851].JPG

DSC_0051[5850].JPG

11 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

Very wise, David, and something I wish I had done a few years ago when my 'almost excellent condition' SBR with (pretty rare) early flutter valve protector got wrecked by rough handling from the general public during a display. (Below is an image before the damage and a shot of it after someone nearly ripped the valve off. I could have cried!)

That is heart breaking!!

10 minutes ago, kylet183 said:

Thanks for your help everyone!

It should be turning up any day this week so i can take some images of it on a imageproxy.php?img=&key=aa765089105ca315mannequin head for a better view!

I am also excited to see if there is anything in the log book.

Ive been searching for one for at least 2 years now and when one finally turned up (Half as good condition as this one), i paid for it, only for system problems on the sellers site to not show my payment and for them to sell it to someone else! The seller sold me this one out of his own personal collection to help me out, although it was double the price... But more than happy to pay as i dont think id ever find one better!

DSC_0038[5856].JPG

DSC_0049[5848].JPG

DSC_0041[5840].JPG

DSC_0033[5851].JPG

DSC_0051[5850].JPG

I have to say that it is in extraordinary condition considering, I would venture to say 'unissued condition' so there is a possibility there won't be much recorded in the diary? Just to demonstrate the condition, here is my 'enhanced' reproduction - not much difference in condition, except one is over 100yrs old! Strangely enough, my carry bag is dated 1917! The mask is by Shipperfabrik but with lenses from a WW2 mask applied and also a hose and suitable pattern filter box which in itself took me years to source.

David 

35077655_2136558939954986_2189057307927642112_n.jpg

35070791_2136558903288323_1569981958832783360_n.jpg

41 minutes ago, GRANVILLE said:

I have to say that it is in extraordinary condition considering, I would venture to say 'unissued condition' so there is a possibility there won't be much recorded in the diary? Just to demonstrate the condition, here is my 'enhanced' reproduction - not much difference in condition, except one is over 100yrs old! Strangely enough, my carry bag is dated 1917! The mask is by Shipperfabrik but with lenses from a WW2 mask applied and also a hose and suitable pattern filter box which in itself took me years to source.

Thats a very nice set you have put together there mate!

Un issued was my first thought, but then i noticed the hand written ink numbers near the mouth piece on inside the mask which is commonly a soldiers I.D number. Could have possibly been issued to someone who never got gassed or a higher rank? Being a matching set made in 1917, you would think it should have been issued.

The mask was kept in a private museum for around 50 years and was sold to the dealer in an estate sale, so it has been kept well too.

Cant say too much until i get it, but i just cant wait regardless!