Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Teddy and Phoebe

Gareth Davies

Today is a historic moment, Teddy and Phoebe are leaving the Ulster Tower for the final time. I went with Teddy on his final  tour of Thiepval Wood this afternoon which was, as you would imagine, excellent as ever. They have been good friends to many of us over the years and I wish them all the best in their retirement back in Northern Ireland.

Will be missed had some great times with them over the last 20 years especially the Wood tour, who will take over?

Tony

I wish them the very best in their well deserved retirement. They will be a hard act to follow and I shall miss them next time I drop in for a coffee. 

They have two couples who will cover for the next few months.

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

Today is a historic moment, Teddy and Phoebe are leaving the Ulster Tower for the final time. I went with Teddy on his final  tour of Thiepval Wood this afternoon which was, as you would imagine, excellent as ever. They have been good friends to many of us over the years and I wish them all the best in their retirement back in Northern Ireland.

Haven't we been here before? 

(Retiring I mean)

23 minutes ago, caulkheader said:

Haven't we been here before? 

(Retiring I mean)

Indeed we have - but they have proved to be (almost) irreplaceable. Money on them not turning up again next year??? They have been an ornament and decoration to the Somme for many years now and the only wonder is that Phoebe did not get the MBE along with Teddy in the NYH.

Yes we have.

Was very fortunate to to do the Thiepval Wood Tour with Teddy as guide in 2016. I can still hear his voice.

Edited by Margaretnolan

They will indeed be missed, excellent hosts in every sense of the word. I was lucky enough to meet up with them a couple of weeks ago. May they have a long and happy retirement.