Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

55017 Corporal Robert W Thacker, MGC

Mark Crame

Well, I spotted a lonely and forgotten first world war Tommy at the Kessingland car boot this morning. 55017 Corporal Robert W Thacker of the Machine Gun Corps. Lying forlornly amongst some dirty old coins with no respectful place for his history. I brought his memory home and thought this would be the best place to mark his service.

He survived the war, that is all I know.

34885686_10160913100420393_9096548180954

Edited by Mark Crame

Hi Mark,

The medal rolls name him as Robert William Thacker. No other regiment shown for overseas service.

55010 Cutler and 55019 Robinson both transferred to the MGC on 8th September 1916 (from different originating units).

Regards

Chris

Thank you Chris, very kind of you to add this information on Robert. It is very much appreciated. My apologies for the delay in acknowledgement, I got stupid busy for the rest of the night and didnt stop once I got up, until now!

Dear Chris,

Typically brilliant Great War Forum research and some cross-referencing thrown in. Well done!

Dear Mark,

Most thoughtful of you to rescue Cpl Thacker for posterity. At least he survived the MGC and indeed the Great War.

I well understand the importance of such Gone Walkabout medals.

Despite the fact that my Officers Only collection contains mainly complete and intact gallantry and other groups, the one BWM (2.LIEUT. R. HUNTER.), and the other Victory (CAPT. E. P. YEATES.), remain missing.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

It's a pity so many were split Kim, and lost or abandoned. I did hear of a death penny in a shed which the granddaughter discovered, via n old friend now departed. Forlorn for all those years...

Dear Mark,

That, it seems to me, is the way of the world.

Families disintigrate; others remain intact and prosper. In the latter case, wealth is available to keep such medals, memories, and mementos in safe keeping. Indeed, one is proud to be the grandson of a gallant officer for example...

Of course, even in the best scenario, over the course of a hundred years, oftentimes little, but important, things tend to go astray, like the BWM to the handsome Lieut Robert Hunter - yet his Belgian Order of the Crown has remained intact (or is it a replacement? After all, his name is not engraved on it.) Happily, his Belgian awards were gazetted, his presence with D/113 RFA was noted in the War Dairy, and his portrait was preserved for posterity (to be seen on another thread), in the 1919 Coatbridge and the Great War. Voila!

Kindest regards,

Kim.