Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Derek Black

1st Bn Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders by March 1915

Derek Black

This interesting little article appeared in the Kirkintilloch Gazette on the 12th of March 1915.

"Out of 24 soldiers resident in the married quarters of the Cameron Highlanders at Edinburgh when the war broke out, only 3 can now be accounted for, the others being killed or missing, and only 30 out of the first draft of 1400 Camerons have so far escaped without being wounded, killed, or taken prisoner."

Derek.

Steven Broomfield

I believe the late MartinG posted copious amounts of research on the fate of the original BEF and, if I remember correctly, the 1st Camerons were amongst the hardest hit. I daresay the detail is on the Forum somewhere.

gordon92
Posted (edited)

Although I cannot locate the source at the moment, I believe there was only one man that remained in the 1st Camerons at the end of the war who was there when the battalion landed in France 14th Aug 1914.

Edited by gordon92

Derek Black

Indeed, Martin G did post a lot about the initial cohorts.

I thought it interesting that the severity of one battalions casualties had been published like this.

I have doubs it would have been printed 6 months later.

Derek.

Rob Bulloch
Posted (edited)

This may be of some interest, The History of the 1st Cameron's has casualty figured for Aug thru Dec 1914 as Kia or Dow 503 and wounded as 284.   Rob.

Edited by Rob Bulloch