Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

pookie46

I am trying to find information on this man  ( service numbers,2143 & 280421)who died on 17th September 1918. He is buried in High Wycombe Cemetery.

So far I have found he died of wounds in Warrington War Hospital ? I cannot find out where this was? Cheshire? Buckinghamshire?

Also his UK WW1 service Medal Card & Award Roll has an added note which I do not understand! I know he was born in Dalston,

Any help greatly appreciated!.....he was on the Bucks Absent Voter's List in 1918 as living at 1, Mill Street High Wycombe. Many thanks.

Possibly the Lord Derby War Hospital, Warrington in Cheshire.

His war gratuity of £6 10s (net) is odd as I would expect it to be higher based on an initial glance at his 4 digit number. £6 10s net was paid for 19 months qualifying service which would indicate enlistment in the month from 18 Feb 1917 - assuming one continuous qualifying period of service.

Craig

The medal rolls showed her served abroad from 6 Jan 1915 to 4 June 1915 and 18 August 1916 to 27 December 1917. His overseas service alone would easily account for the 19 months so somewhere along the line we've lost qualifying service - either forfeited it or had a period where he did not accrue it (for example, where a man was released to munitions work) or there was an amount of war gratuity which was paid but is shown in a separate soldiers effects entry.

Listed  as aged 29 when he died on BMD

which would make him as having been born around 1889

penn.JPG.5e206feb6159edd55b85b667be3bb9fa.JPG

Ray

If you are referring to "Retd (1743 KR) 7956 adt on his medal card it means that his medals were returned to the Medal Office for some reason.  Kings Regulation 1743 related to return of medals which could have been for a variety of reasons, not deliverable, not claimed by the family etc.  The medal roll has a little more info  - CRV indicating the certified receipt voucher in 1923 by which the medal office acknowledged receipt.

The 1914-1915 Star roll by the way says he died from gas poisoning.

Max

The effects register shows That £1.19s.6p were paid out to Mesures Hull Loosely and Pearce  (who are shown as undertakers in High Wycombe)

the ballance advertised in a reg paper and paid out to his mother Mary A 

effects.JPG.9f36f3e264a7676bd35b75c800cbc733.JPG

The bottom of the page in red  appears to read duplicate which may indicate there is a second entry for Penn in the effects records somewhere

It says Duplicate AFW 5070 sent 11 Nov 19 which looks as if it amends the date in the 5070 box.  Seems to indicate that no reply was received from the first AFW 5070 sent to the family so they sent another.  Can't find another effects entry.  May be related to the medal situation??

Max

The W5070 was sent to the regimental paymaster to obtain the details of men who the Effects Branch knew had died but they needed the war gratuity details for.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

What makes me wonder regarding a second entry is not the W5070, it's the colour of the stamp (probably a something I spotted as I spend too much time looking at the records). The green colour is usually seen in respect of a 'supplmentary gratuity' which seems to have been used to correct errors - coupled with the unexplained shortfall in gratuity it makes suspect another entry somewhere. Medical issues in themselves wouldn't affect the amount of gratuity paid.

Craig

Paul Nixons Army service number blogspot has Pte 2156 as having originally joined the 4th Bn London Reg on the 10th August 1914

which indicates that A H Penn Pte 2146 joined the 4th Bn on or prior to 10th August 1914

The Battalion was renumbered in 1917  Within the block 280001 to 300000

Ray

15 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Paul Nixons Army service number blogspot has Pte 2156 as having originally joined the 4th Bn London Reg on the 10th August 1914

which indicates that A H Penn Pte 2146 joined the 4th Bn on or prior to 10th August 1914

The Battalion was renumbered in 1917  Within the block 280001 to 300000

Ray

Thanks Ray. I hadn't looked but that's what I thought would be the case.

The max war gratuity he could have received would be 51 months - £24 10s. Slighty different to the 19 months paid.

Craig