Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAF sgts shot down and killed Sept 1918 - Medals awarded

patrick anderson

I am researching the  RAF Sgts   99882 Ernest Mellor from  Brighouse ,West Yorkshire and his observer  Sgt  242102 James Bryden, from Collin near  Dumfries ,   both of 104 Sqn RAF who were on a bombing raid into  Germany in  DH 9  on 7th  SEPTEMBER 1918 .   They were classed as missing in action and later they were confirmed  (December 1919 ) as killed as I presume the end of the war had confirmed their   War Graves . Both were just 19 years of age .

Does the War Office or  Air Ministry that would have issued their War Medals had they survived the war been issued from one of these Offices as I cant find any record on the  Army Medal  Roll for their  War Medals ?    I realise that yes, the army medal roll is just for the army and the new  RAF would I expect have their own Medal rolls for their Officers and other ranks who had served in the later part of the war to just receive the British  War Medal and  Victory Medals .  The next of kin would have received these two war medals and their Memorial Plaque and  Scroll . It looks like  Sgt  Bryden ,the  Observer had served from 1917 in the  RNAS and on 1st  April 1918 transferred into the  new  RAF flying as an observer with 104 Sqn RAF at some point in the War .

As Ive said above the Army medal rolls at Kew are just the army medal rolls so these two young airmen who served  I presume in the latter months of the war and their death in action in September 1918 would have received medals for their service in the war overseas

Thanks to any one who can clarify my query as normally I don't find  AIRMEN  to research

best wishes  Patrick w Anderson

While I have now lost it (age related problem!)  the relevant National Archive guide say that medal records for men who served first in RNAS or RFC have the medals on their  RN or Army records.  For those who joined after 1 April 1918, the only place to find medal records is in the service record (not relevant to you).

James Bryden with the number F 42102 is on the RN Medal roll with the note (issued by AM [Air Ministry]).  Haven't found Ernest Mellor but check out the RN Medal roll and the army for RFC (which has many "issued by Air Ministry"

Max

Further - The RAF service record for Ernest Mellor formerly Royal Flying Corps (from 1 Oct 1917) is on FMP.  It should have his medal entitlement on it but hasn't.  He appears to have been missed also on the RFC Medal roll. 

Max

Thanks Max for these two notes of info  .  great and helpful to move forward

thanks Patrick w Anderson