Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Arthur Stanley Reade - Royal Engineers?

HolymoleyRE

Dear GWF Pals.

So on the 1919 Electoral Roll I have Arthur Stanley Reade listed as NM living in Hermitage, and is back home in 1920 (On Roll).

Only two ASRs that I can see one born 1880 Wandsworth and the other 1885 Reading. So far have discounted the former, the latter is on census records as living in Croydon, Stretton Road and is a Painter & Decorator.

Surrey recruitment list have AS Reade born 1885 8 Sretton Rd attesting in 1915 #8105 to the 25th Btn Middlesex Regt as a "Derby Man".

All good so far, but now he starts to unravel a little, the 25th Btn served in Russia from early 1918...So no MIC that I can see for such a man.

There is an MIC for a RAMC Arthur Stanley Read #126657 which appears to a 1917 number.  Next up is the MIC for Sapper Arthur S Reade #146799 RE....which appears to be a March 1916 RE number, fitting nicely for a Derby Man.

1939 Register has ASR still living in Croydon, and in the remarks column is what reads to me as Engineer Service(s)?

So perhaps narrowed ASR as the Sapper....but nothing other than hunch to place him in Hermitage in 1919-20?

Thoughts most welcome.

Andy

Screenshot_20180609-081210.jpg

Plenty of dead ends. 

The date of birth of the 1939 register man in Croydon matches the 1885 man born in Reading. So he is your man 8105 in the Middlesex regiment. 

He married Flora in 1920 in Croydon. There is a marriage record for April 1920 where his address is the 8 Stretton Road, Croydon address. 

He was born to William and Martha Annie in 1885 Reading. They are in Reading 1891, then Croydon 1901 and 1911. 1911 at the Mx man's address.

There is a Reading St Stephen's School's record from 1890 that gives the 1939 register dob and father William. 

That ASR does not get baptised until 1898 in Croydon

All fits together.

I even looked up his brother Albert William John born 1879 to see if he would provide a clue. He is not with the family in 1901 or 1911. In 1911 he is as close to Hermitage as the Consumption Hospital in Tilehurst as a patient. He was born in Tilehurst. I next find him dying in Australia in late 1913 

Given his address on marriage this ASR seems unlikely to be your man but is only one with a Berkshire connection I can find so far

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

Plenty of dead ends. 

The date of birth of the 1939 register man in Croydon matches the 1885 man born in Reading. So he is your man 8105 in the Middlesex regiment. 

He married Flora in 1920 in Croydon. There is a marriage record for April 1920 where his address is the 8 Stretton Road, Croydon address. 

He was born to William and Martha Annie in 1885 Reading. They are in Reading 1891, then Croydon 1901 and 1911. 1911 at the Mx man's address.

There is a Reading St Stephen's School's record from 1890 that gives the 1939 register dob and father William. 

That ASR does not get baptised until 1898 in Croydon

All fits together.

I even looked up his brother Albert William John born 1879 to see if he would provide a clue. He is not with the family in 1901 or 1911. In 1911 he is as close to Hermitage as the Consumption Hospital in Tilehurst as a patient. He was born in Tilehurst. I next find him dying in Australia in late 1913 

Given his address on marriage this ASR seems unlikely to be your man but is only one with a Berkshire connection I can find so far

Mark, thank you so much for your efforts, afirming my genealogy path with some embelishments.

I am convinced that the Croydon ASR is the Sapper, on attestement starting with Middlesex Regt but on mobilising he transfers...the comment on the 39 register 'Engineer Service' cements it for.

But is he a shoe in for my ASR below...prob not...if he had been on the Spring Electoral and not the Autumn, that would have fitted an April Croydon wedding..but here is still on Roll in Autumn.

For now he will stay on my Roll of Honour under the NM list.

Might go back to the RAMC Arthur Stanley Reade.....there is a Lancers Arthur S Reade also.

Andy

Screenshot_20180610-202508.jpg