Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hawthorn Ridge

andrew pugh

Good Evening

Does anybody know how the work on the Hawthorn Crater is progressing?

Regards

Andy

Very well. I think there is a thread on the progress somewhere here on the GWF with good photos.

Yes, here it is:

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2018 at 13:08, Steve7 said:

Hi Andy, was there last week, hope this video helps:-

https://youtu.be/m_jEyC7kegw

Very nice. I find drone shots particularly fascinating when you look straight down into the tops of trees.

Hi Steve

Thanks for that lovely piece of film footage.As i mentioned in an earlier thread there is a rumour that the Bernwerk positions opposite the Hawthorn crater are going to be cleared and opened up for access.,apparently its never been cleared and supposedly has many tunnels and dugouts. Hope this rumour turns out to be true. Has anybody else heard anything about this?

Regards 

Andy      

16 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi Steve

Thanks for that lovely piece of film footage.As i mentioned in an earlier thread there is a rumour that the Bernwerk positions opposite the Hawthorn crater are going to be cleared and opened up for access.,apparently its never been cleared and supposedly has many tunnels and dugouts. Hope this rumour turns out to be true. Has anybody else heard anything about this?

Regards 

Andy      

When you say opposite, do you mean the wood facing the sunken lane?

On 26/06/2018 at 13:08, Steve7 said:

Hi Andy, was there last week, hope this video helps:-

https://youtu.be/m_jEyC7kegw

I like it too Steve, as usual. There's always a new angle, like the sight of Thiepval in the distance.

Pete.

Hi Horrocks

The Burnwerk was the German front line which the Lancashire Fusiliers were supposed to attack on the 1st July from the sunken lane (Hunters Lane), the German front lines were in the woods opposite the sunken lane.

Regards

Andy    

Ah, yes, I thought so. I probably shouldn't say this, but I have heard from a little birdie that the German firing trench in there is in remarkable condition, you can easily follow it from the top to the bottom of the wood.

On 28/06/2018 at 18:54, Fattyowls said:

I like it too Steve, as usual. There's always a new angle, like the sight of Thiepval in the distance.

Pete.

Ta, cheers Pete.