Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hawthorn Ridge


andrew pugh

Recommended Posts

Good Evening

Does anybody know how the work on the Hawthorn Crater is progressing?

 

Regards

Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very well. I think there is a thread on the progress somewhere here on the GWF with good photos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, here it is:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2018 at 13:08, Steve7 said:

Hi Andy, was there last week, hope this video helps:-

 

https://youtu.be/m_jEyC7kegw

 

 

Very nice. I find drone shots particularly fascinating when you look straight down into the tops of trees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Steve

Thanks for that lovely piece of film footage.As i mentioned in an earlier thread there is a rumour that the Bernwerk positions opposite the Hawthorn crater are going to be cleared and opened up for access.,apparently its never been cleared and supposedly has many tunnels and dugouts. Hope this rumour turns out to be true. Has anybody else heard anything about this?

Regards 

Andy      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi Steve

Thanks for that lovely piece of film footage.As i mentioned in an earlier thread there is a rumour that the Bernwerk positions opposite the Hawthorn crater are going to be cleared and opened up for access.,apparently its never been cleared and supposedly has many tunnels and dugouts. Hope this rumour turns out to be true. Has anybody else heard anything about this?

Regards 

Andy      

 

When you say opposite, do you mean the wood facing the sunken lane?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/06/2018 at 13:08, Steve7 said:

Hi Andy, was there last week, hope this video helps:-

 

https://youtu.be/m_jEyC7kegw

 

 

I like it too Steve, as usual. There's always a new angle, like the sight of Thiepval in the distance.

 

Pete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Horrocks

The Burnwerk was the German front line which the Lancashire Fusiliers were supposed to attack on the 1st July from the sunken lane (Hunters Lane), the German front lines were in the woods opposite the sunken lane.

Regards

Andy    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, yes, I thought so. I probably shouldn't say this, but I have heard from a little birdie that the German firing trench in there is in remarkable condition, you can easily follow it from the top to the bottom of the wood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/06/2018 at 18:54, Fattyowls said:

 

I like it too Steve, as usual. There's always a new angle, like the sight of Thiepval in the distance.

 

Pete.

Ta, cheers Pete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...