Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book on the Army of Occupation, 1919

The Scorer

Does anyone know of a book the Army of Occupation from 1919, please?

I know that there are details of individual soldier's experiences in a number of their autobiographies / biographies, but these don't really cover the bigger picture. I'd be interested to read more about where it was based, what it did, how long it was there for, etc.

Thanks.

Michael Foley 'The British Army of the Rhine' might be the one. Available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle format.

There is a volume in the British Official History series, The Occupation of the Rhineland. It was originally published only in a restricted edition, but has been reprinted in a public edition in relatively recent years - I think by IWM.

Ron

The book took some considerable time to be published and the work was not sanctioned by the Cabinet until February 1942.....the work of Brigadier General Sir James E Edmonds.........The Occupation of the Rhineland 1918-1929

Brigadier General James Edmonds as editor of the British official history series first proposed that an account of the British Army on the Rhine should be undertaken in 1930 but this was not supported the Treasury.It appears that in the background Edmonds conducted research and collected official relevant records. Edmonds went on to work on the project with the backing of R.A.Butler from February 1942. The final edition being a limited publication,released virtually at the end of the war in Europe.

A valuable resource on the actions of the British involvement in the occupation of the Rhine and the difficulties encountered......and like others the British cut short their previous statement of intent regarding the length of occupation.

Edited by Frank_East
typo

Thank you - one just ordered.  

Peace Patrol by Lt. Col. Stewart Roddie, who was a member of the disarmament committee, is in interesting personal account. 

Assize of Arms, by Brig-Gen J H Morgan (London, Methuen, 1945) tells "the story of the disarmament of Germany and her rearmament, 1919-1939". It is in two volumes and I picked up Volume One fairly cheaply recently from a well-known website. Brig-Gen Morgan served on the Inter-Allied Council of the Control Commission. It is mostly about the writer's dealings with German officers and politicians, and there is a certain amount of wry humour in it.

Ron

Thanks for that, Charles.

My interest in this book came via a friend, who is part of the group trying to compile a history of the MGC. He had found a reference to the book, and I managed to find a copy very cheaply. It doesn't actually have any info on the MGC as such, but at least your comments will release me from my promise to look up Volume 2 next time I am in the University Library!

Ron

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:00, The Scorer said:

Thank you; I'll have to have a look at the Michel Foley book.

The Michael Foley book isn't the best, he thinks for example that Jan Smuts was female and that the Scots Guards wore kilts.

4 hours ago, Heid the Ba said:

The Michael Foley book isn't the best, he thinks for example that Jan Smuts was female and that the Scots Guards wore kilts.

In my defence, I haven't read it. I just knew it had been published.

You've really got me going on this .... I think that I'm going to have to have a look at the index to track down the offending passages before I start reading the book!

On 03/07/2018 at 14:00, Heid the Ba said:

and that the Scots Guards wore kilts.

Well, their pipers did!

Ron

Chapter 4  “The year 1921 saw Britain in a great position in the world. This was according to Jan Smuts, Prime Minister of South Africa at the time; she said that . . . “.