Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Austrian NCO M95 bayonet

ShtLE303

Well, a few days after finding my M95, I get a lead on an M95 bayonet, and an NCO version at that. Its a bit scruffy with an interesting repair to the handle, but I can probably count on one hand how many I've run into over the years. OEWG and Austrian eagle marked, and a few other markings that may show better after a light cleaning. Glad to have found it!

0606182255.jpg

0606182256.jpg

0606182256a.jpg

0606182256b.jpg

0606182257.jpg

0606182257a.jpg

0606182257b.jpg

0606182258a.jpg

Is that a wood insert in the grip? Not seen anything like it before!

Trajan

4 minutes ago, trajan said:

Is that a wood insert in the grip? Not seen anything like it before!

Trajan

looks like a field repair. a hard to find bayonet with some history.

Certainly well done repair - and a nice bayonet. Now all you need is a portepee and a frog!:thumbsup:

Yep..might run across those at the next arms show. 

• 5 months later...

I just bought a bayonet for my M95. I had been looking for a while to find one at a reasonable price. I’m not sure if it is the correct one because there are no visible markining. Here is a picture. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

6B9D895A-83FC-43E1-AF98-583F02D728EB.jpeg

Hello and welcome to GWF!

This not my collecting area but can say that more photographs will be appreciated, e.g., the serial number on the scabbard. I am surprised that there are no ricasso markings and no rivets are visible in the crossguard though! My small group of 95's has them... So, what makes you sure this is a M.95? Does it fit the rifle?

• 10 months later...

First one is mostly a owner refurbished bayonet, possible in wood grip messing insert and new hook ok crossguard, removed rivet heads etc,its started life as normal M95 bayonet and was reworked to NCO configuration.

Second one is turkish M1935 probably with S84/98 3R scabbard and repro frog. b.r.Andy

Austrian NCO M 95 bayonets had a Portapee or sword knot attached to the back of the handle via a hole drilled through as symbol  of owner rank

There are "field promotion" versions where the hole was drilled in the handle , apparently by the owner or a  unit armorer to signify the users promotion