Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Bernard Miller 291263 RN

brett361975

Good evening all.

I wonder if anyone could help me as I am currently oversea’s and have limited access to the internet (my partner has posted this on my request) I am trying to carry out some research into a John Bernard Miller 291263 Acting Chief Stoker Royal Navy.

From the limited information I have John signed for a 12 year engagement in 1899. He was born in Wolverhampton 9th December 1878 and his occupation before enlisting was a blacksmith (staff)

He re-engaged in 1911 and at the outbreak of hostilities was serving on HMS Tamar (shore station in Hong Kong)

He remained there until June 23rd 1916. I can find no postings on the limited notes I have with reference to him being posted to any ship during the Gallipoli campaign.

On June 24th 1916 he was diagnosed with insanity and kept in safe custody at the Government Lunatic Asylum in Hong Kong until he could be returned to the UK.

He was invalidated for insanity to the UK 20th October 1916 and discharged to the  hospital at Great Yarmouth on 31st October 1916.

He remained there until his death on 30th January 1919. He is buried in Caister Old Cemetary, stating service on HMS Vivid.

Would anybody be able to help me with any further details please, I am unsure as to whether his service records survive or is any further information can be ascertain.

Would be grateful for any help

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Brett

According to his entry in Royal Navy Registers of Seaman’s Service which can be found on Ancestry.com or NA as stated by Horatio2 above, he was posted to Tamar from 1st August 1914 until 14th August 1916 when he was posted to Vivid. The information regarding diagnosis of him being a "dangerous lunatic" are also recorded as are the dates of him being sectioned at Lunatic Asylum in Hong Kong. All his earlier Naval career from enlistment on 24 Jan 03 are also recorded.

Thank you very much to you both for your help. I have contacted the hospital at Great Yarmouth to see if they are able to offer any more infomation and have applied for a copy of John's death certificate which hopefully will shed more light.

Thank you again for your time and effort

I have now received John’s death certificate. His death is listed at general paralysis of the insane and Tubercle of the lungs. 

An interesting article on paralysis of the insane https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-25/edition-10/looking-back-fascinating-and-fatal-disease

A sad sad end. Rest in peace John Bernard MIller 

• spof changed the title to John Bernard Miller 291263 RN