Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with MIC Welsh Horse / RAF FOSTER 90 & 404110

alastaircox

I am trying to figure out how this chap's medals were named. My assumption, from the Medal Index Card and 14-15 Star Roll are that his 1914-15 Star would have been issued to 90 PTE. W.E.FOSTER. WELCH.HORSE. and the pair to 404110 A.M.2. W.E.FOSTER R.A.F. Is that right?  Also, is it possible to draw any assumptions from his scant records? The 1/1 Welsh Horse Yeomanry served at Gallipoli in October 1915 and then moved to Egypt. Foster transferred to the Flying Corps/RAF in Egypt and served at X Park until his death in 1918. Does the RAF service number give a vague clue as to when he likely transferred? Am I barking up the right tree or going barking mad in this heat?

1861973751_fostermic.jpg.26fde7aaa340c6fc1acfe2f0a9b65a1b.jpg

Thank you in advance.

MIC copyright National Archives/Ancestry

Edited by alastaircox
typo

Finally found his RAF records on FMP. Transferred to the RFC April 1917, RAF April 1918.  So would the pair be named to RFC or RAF? Sorry, it's probably simple stuff.

The MIC says 'Qualified for medals with RAF'. Wouldn't that mean that it's the RAF details that would appear?

Are there hard and fast rules as to whether the medals were issued by the Army (to the RFC) or by the RAF? This chap served with both. I agree Dai, RAF is the most likely from the MIC.

I hope to track them down for a possible re-unite, in which case RAF would better suit my budget!  Photo attached, father's plaque and photo, son's pair. The son died in WW2 serving as a Captain, also in North Africa.

IMG_1205.JPG

As far as I know the standard rules applied - the medals were administered by the unit the man was with at the time of issuing but named to the unit under which the man qualified for the medal. (I believe that when they issued the medals there was a slip of paper in them which clarified the situation regarding qualification/issuing).

Craig

I think the note on the MIC means his BWM & VICTY medals would have been issued through the RAF or Air Ministry or whatever the body was called while the Army issued his Star. His pair would have indeed been named to RAF.

Thank you everyone, your input is much appreciated.

12 hours ago, Loader said:

I think the note on the MIC means his BWM & VICTY medals would have been issued through the RAF or Air Ministry or whatever the body was called while the Army issued his Star. His pair would have indeed been named to RAF.

You're right.

I missed the bracketing together of BWM & VM which relates to the RAF.

(Still don't understand why, when he qualified for all his medals at Gallipoli in 1915, they're not all issued with his Welsh Horse details?)

I read once that there was a lot of debate about who would bear the cost of the medals in such cases as yours. The Army wanted the RAF to pay & the RAF said as you felt they earned them with the Army let the army cough up the cash!  Not sure how long it went on by in the end this is the result, best they could do & as usual it all comes down to money!