The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras

Ian C

I'm spending half term in Ficheux, just outside of Arras, with my 12 year old son.

Any suggestions of things to see or places to visit etc.

Ian,

Forum member Paul Reed has a new book either just out or I believe due shortly which would be most useful to you if it's out in time.

Bob.

... or look up Rose Coombs 'Before Endeavours Fade'. That'll show you you how to fill a weekend or ten. First choice for 12 year old has to be tunnels at Vimy and under Arras itself. For his dad, some of the nicest eating places anywhere in the Squares, if the weather's good. And, for both of you, the Resistance memorials behind the Citadel -awesome at any age, I'd have thought. And in front, the Arras memorial & cemetery. And mile after mile of battlefield.....

whatever you do don't miss going to Vimy Ridge if the weather is clear the views are spectacular. As Graham said the tunnels at Vimy are a good choice particularly if you hit some bad weather!

regards

Lesley

• 4 weeks later...
My book, Walking Arras will not be out until mid-2005 it seems.

However, some ideas of what to see on my website:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/hindenburg_line.htm

Includes a print off and use 'Arras Battlefield in a Day' guide.

Paul:

I can't wait to see your book. A long way from Canada but I will make it to Vimy in the near future. So many times in Europe on business but never made it yet to Arras.

Send us all a message when the book is available. I get the newsletter from the Naval & Military Press, so perhaps they will let us know?

Richard

Make sure you have the Ficheux trench map. There will be some good walks around there. Last summer I walked up from Ficheux to the site of Ficheux Mill which overlooks the British and German lines and the village of Wailly.

Ken

Paul:

I can't wait to see your book. A long way from Canada but I will make it to Vimy in the near future. So many times in Europe on business but never made it yet to Arras.

Send us all a message when the book is available. I get the newsletter from the Naval & Military Press, so perhaps they will let us know?

Richard

It should be in the P&S catalogue.

First choice for 12 year old has to be tunnels at Vimy and under Arras itself.

I don't believe the tunnels at Vimy are open until Easter. As for the boves these should be ok as they are under the town hall.

You should also note restoration work is (still) about to begin in the memorial park.

For more information see the link below:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?s...als/ww1mem/vimy - there is an email address you can use to ask questions.

Has anyone heard anymore details on more of the boves being opened up? In 2001 on a visit we were told more was to be opened in 2003 but this did not seem to be the case?

Cheers

Ryan