Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Day 2003

egbert

Ok,

here is a "misleading" photo from a famous battlefield, where I just returned from. Piece by piece= voila are the first 2 photos. What river is it, which battlefield, ohlala which war???

post-8-1053999977.jpg

Though they are the same battlefield I would guess Antietam for1 and Shiloh for 2. 2 looks like Tennessee River from Pittsburgh Landing.

Nope! Neither nor! Give it another try! Tonight you will see more conclusive pictures. Anyhow, I thought the 1st picture to be interesting in the sense of how "early trenches" were built/constructed in an area with solid ground - no groundwater.

Looks like the battlefield around Vicksburg, Mississippi. Am I close?

Ralph

Ralph - bulls eye, congratulations, so the next pair of photos are not necessary!!! I have been there last Memorial Day weekend, and was very much reminded to early 1914 warfare, although 50 years in between. The caves, where Vicksburg civilians and confederates took shelter from enormous bombardments resemble that of known pictures of Somme area. Also same artifacts: bomb fragments all over like in Flanders fields.

Well, and Michaels comment: do you know the English word misleading? If not, you should move from Kent countryside to Oxford. It is also said that they like trivial to enlighten "serious" business!