Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Schoolteachers Last Supper - What were the songs being sung ?

davidbohl

Just thought I'd like to share a document I have. This is probably the last formal Hotte Potte Supper before the lads headed off to war, any song buffs out there recognise any of the songs ? Were they perhaps hymns with re-arranged words ?

AliensSupper_1913b.jpg

The most poignant song was "Come on Boys" by Bob Jones, not only captain of the club but later to become Capt. in the KLR, MC and bar. They also happened to be the last known words of casualty R.G.Griffith:-

"Sergeant Griffith who for eight years was assistant master at St Anne's School Stanley, has been killed in action. He was well known as a member of the Aliens Rugby Football Club, and had obtained much repute as an artiste: he was a pupil of the Liverpool School of Art. A comrade describes his death as follows :- Some of the platoon had been mown down by a German machine gun which was enfilading from the right flank. Sergeant Griffith mustered a few men, who, at his shout of "Come on, boys," dashed at the enemy and wiped the squad out, not without, however, the loss of the sergeant, who fell mortally wounded. He was noticed to be lying alongside a German officer. Brave little Bob Griffith! I take my cap off to his memory."

Norman Howe and Jack Williams on the performance list also perished in ww1.

Thanks

Dave

Could 'I'll cling to you' be 'Just like the Ivy'?

Others sound like humorous music hall songs.

Mike.

• 11 months later...

I suspect that this set-list was more of a series of in-jokes amongst these lads, than an actual bill of entertainment?  The Aliens RFC got their name because they were formed from a group of primarily school-masters who weren't Liverpool men.  The club's contribution to the Great War is detailed in here https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/sefton/a/history-7726.html