Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marfaux , Charmes and Le Mans

Michelle Young

• Admin

If all goes according to plan, I will be visiting the above cemeteries ( plus a few yet to be decided ) late June/early July. 

Reasonable photo requests considered.

Michelle  

I went to Marfaux a few years ago because of its New Zealand connection. Lovely village, beautiful area.

Marfaux would be a good one for me. I have 3 at Marfaux British that, admittedly, I already have photos of but am always on the cadge for better quality photos.

I. H. 14 - Jackson, W

III. G. 9 - Webb, F

V. E. 3 - Horn, FC

Merci buttercup

T

• Admin

T,

In my notebook 

Michelle 

• Admin

Also probably visiting Vailly Sur Aisne, Soupir Churchyard,  Longueval Rd, maybe Caterpillar Valley 

A word of caution, I would not got to Le Mans from Monday next week till the following Monday, unless you like cars. The the 24 Hour race is the weekend of the 16th 17th, but scrutineering starts Monday next week in the town, and there are events in the town all week. Free practice start Wednesday 16.00 hours for 4 hours, and the roads get closed around the track to Muslanne, Arnarge etc. 

More than 250,000 people will attend at the weekend, 2 years ago there was over 330,000 ticket sales, so its heaving there. I travel out on Thursday, can't wait.

Hi Michelle,

Would be most grateful for the below from my Walsall project if you have time, please

La Ville-aux-Bois British Cemetery

Herbert MORLEY in Grave II.F.14

James PREECE in Grave I.M.2

Many thanks again for your generosity,

Regards,

Graeme

• Admin
4 hours ago, MartH said:

A word of caution, I would not got to Le Mans from Monday next week till the following Monday, unless you like cars. The the 24 Hour race is the weekend of the 16th 17th, but scrutineering starts Monday next week in the town, and there are events in the town all week. Free practice start Wednesday 16.00 hours for 4 hours, and the roads get closed around the track to Muslanne, Arnarge etc. 

More than 250,000 people will attend at the weekend, 2 years ago there was over 330,000 ticket sales, so its heaving there. I travel out on Thursday, can't wait.

Not going to be there until the second week in July. So we should be ok.

Michelle 

• Admin

Graeme,

change of route means we won't be doing la Ville au Bois now. I will edit the opening post. My apologies 

Michelle 

There are nightingales in the woods surrounding Charmes military cemetery.

We deviated there last May to take a set of photos for a Great War stalwart. It was an extremely hot day (30°C) and we really needed to get on, but as it has so few visitors we were glad to show an interest, particularly as it has so many Indian and some Chinese graves. And the complete peace meant that the nightingales were singing: the graves were surrounded by a pure, liquid melody.

I put all the photos on CD, posted them to the person, and heard absolutely nothing, not even a simple thank you.

• Admin

Update, Nieppe-Bois ( Rue de Bois) cemetery on the first day. This is not to be confused with the Rue du Bois cemetery near Richebourg. 

• Admin

Another update.

Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres , Rosieres British Cemetery ( not the communal and extension) and Noyon. 

Michelle 

if you have time please?
Bob

ROE-Captain-A R M--1st Bn.-Dorsetshire Regiment----16/09/1914-----LE MANS WEST CEMETERY-South-West Corner

SQUIRES-Private-E-5113--dg 02 Queen's Bays----23/09/1914-22-Son of Henry Archer Squires and Lily Squires of 56, Trumpington Rd., Forest Gate, Essex---LE MANS WEST CEMETERY-A. 27

• Admin

Noted 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Tony,got the photos in Marfaux 

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Bob, got the photos, had a heck of a job finding Roe as he doesn’t have a CWGC Stone. Might be a while before I can get them over to you 

Michelle

I am most grateful for all your efforts; i have had experiences myself of trying to find non-CWGC stones in communal cemeteries, it ca be a nightmare,

There is no hurryto send them

Bob

• Admin

Bob and Tony, please pm me your email address so I can send the pictures.

thanks Michelle