Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt Charles W N Moncrieff

Perth Digger

There is a copy of a letter in the service record of another officer that was written by the above on 3 February 1915, from Red Barracks, Weymouth. I don't seem to be able to find him in the Ancestry records. He was present at Messines on 31 October 1914.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

I've had problems searching this name before, the spelling options, even for the same man, seem many though I am not saying that is the case here: Moncrieff, Moncreiff, Moncriff, Moncriefe, single 'f' etc.

There was a C.K. Scott Moncrieff 2/KOSB 'See Scott-Moncrieff', but you have probably been able to eliminate him already.

Edited by Neill Gilhooley

Neill

Thanks for looking. I have not eliminated Scott Moncrieff because the letter is a copy, possibly of a copy (there are two versions, one shorter than the other, but both have the same signature (typed). How would I check if Scott Moncrieff was at Messines?

The letter refers to his finding the body of a 21st Lancer officer in the convent grounds at Messines in the evening of 31 October 1914. 

Mike

Sounds like an interesting letter Mike. Perhaps a kosby expert will be along shortly. The war diary is not evident to me on Ancestry but may be hidden away.

Neill

I've found the WD (WO95/1552). 2/Lt C Scott Moncrieff, 3rd KOSB, joined the battalion on 23/24 October 1914. It was C Coy that cleared the Germans from the convent grounds.

Mike

Excellent work!

I still can't be sure who is who (or, bad pun alert, who is of that ilk), but I've gone through the WD from early August and, unless he was in the original contingent but never referred to, no Charles W N Moncrieff is mentioned up to 31 October. I'm tempted to think that it was Scott Moncrieff.

Mike

Does this help?

The undermentioned Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants: —
Dated 9th November, 1914. Charles K. Scott-Moncrieff, from General Reserve of Officers. 

LG 19/1/1915 Sup: 29046 p.693

Capt. C. K. Scott-Moncrieff, M.C., K.O. Sco. B., Spec. Res. 5th Nov. 1918..

LG 3/12/1918 Sup:31053 p.14469 

Ken

Cannot find his MC but found this 

INFANTRY. 3rd Battalion, The King's-Own Scottish Borderers, Captain and Honorary Major William McC'all to be Major. Dated 2nd February, 1915.
The undermentioned Lieutenants to be Captains: — Dated 2nd February, 1915. Charle? !£.. Scott-Moncrieff. (Charles K)

LG 4/5/1915 Sup:29153 p.4377

Ken

Thanks, Ken. It must have been Scott-Moncrieff who wrote the letter.

Mike

Thanks, Ken. It confirms that he was at home when the letter was sent.

Mike