Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lee Metford '88 Mk1 type 2 bayo

drumbobs72

Hi all, picked up this LM bayo other day, dated January 1891. Quite pleased with it, as it has original Enfield (EFD) marked scabbard etc. Usual inspection marks, WD, X, rack numbers etc. A few re issue marks..1899, 1900, 1901, with 1904 being the latest that I can see.. Just wondered if there is any way with this to tell if it was used in The Great War? Its definitely seen some action/well used, in the Boer War I presume!? But who knows!? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.. Cheers..

998499132_LeeMetforda.thumb.jpg.550055f19c44f58b962911f278b5d310.jpg

1296036897_LeeMetfordb.thumb.jpg.af5be5bfeea6d5c9282a5f0d24063564.jpg

1704218485_LeeMetfordc.JPG.734231e3a7f08d7a2627281ae9f4e6e5.JPG

1013329985_LeeMetfordd.JPG.616909f01dc389688ac2ce8e70c5a20d.JPG

779080700_LeeMetforde.JPG.17ff9f9ddac881d8d47390862c582b56.JPG

971985064_LeeMetfordf.JPG.6ae714769b574e9695b490e721bb91a3.JPG

Drumbobs,

That is a nice-looking combination.

Are there any Enfield stampings visible on the locket and chape?

Regards,

JMB

3 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Drumbobs,

That is a nice-looking combination.

Are there any Enfield stampings visible on the locket and chape?

Regards,

JMB

Cheers.....No JMB, cant see any, its too pitted! too far gone..!

As there is no unit marking, it is impossible to prove a Great War connection. But given the relatively small timespan between the boer and Great War they many of these would certainly have played their part. Many Teritorial units were equipped with these at the outbreak of war, not to mention artillery units and service corps which continued with their use throughout...and I'm sure they would have played a role with the home defences of the time.

Nice piece, 

Dave.

16 hours ago, Dave66 said:

As there is no unit marking, it is impossible to prove a Great War connection. But given the relatively small timespan between the boer and Great War they many of these would certainly have played their part. Many Teritorial units were equipped with these at the outbreak of war, not to mention artillery units and service corps which continued with their use throughout...and I'm sure they would have played a role with the home defences of the time.

Nice piece, 

Dave.

Cheers Dave, thanks for the info..No unit marks unfortunately...I know they were used, as I've found quite a few photos of infantry troops in trenches with the CLLE rifle, (long lee) with these type 2 bayonets..even up to 1916! So who knows, much thanks again! 

Not only is there photographic evidence of their use in WW1 but an example was recovered from Gallipoli recently!

• 2 weeks later...

Drumbobs,

I was idly re-visiting this thread today, and in particular the last photo caught my eye.

My Sherlock Holmes alter ego notes the two rack numbers stamped on the throat.

He likewise notes the two distinct small grooves cut into the opposite sides of the throat.

One groove is about twice the depth of the other alongside it.

If the scabbard is original to the bayonet, this is consistent with two different users of the bayonet.

Further, if the hardness of the metal of the chape and of the blade are about the same, with the chape being slightly softer,

this implies that the bayonet has been withdrawn and inserted many times.

SH concludes that your bayonet very likely saw active service. QED!

Of course, if the chape is very much softer than the blade............

How is that for idle speculation?

Regards,

JMB

Well spotted JMB! And note those scratches from the too springy scabbard springs, so certainly - if scabbard original - this has certainly been (as my rowing coach used to say) "In, out", more than a few times! Drumbobs, does the bayonet fit tightly againt the springs. i.e., is it difficult to pull out and replace?