Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soliders of the Royal West Kent Regiment

Morning all.

I hope some of you will be able to help or advise.

I’m planning to launch a website and other social media to focus on the men of the Royal West Kent Regiment. There doesn’t appear to be anything like that online at the moment, although there are lots of excellent projects in which RWK men feature. The website will be similar to my sevenoaksww1.org site and I’d be grateful for any information Pals may be happy to share (all copyrights respected).

Anything from photos, family stories, letters, diaries and so on will be grateful received. It would be great if some wanted to write a ‘guest post’ about their relative or man they have researched.

For such a fine regiment, there seems to be a bit of a gap online and I hope that we may be able to correct that.

Grateful for thoughts and help.

Matt

Posted this in soldiers rather than units and formations to reflect the type of information I am looking for.

This is my great great grandfathers militia attestation form for 2nd Volunteer Batallion Royal West Kent Regiment from 4th December 1899 a few months later he had signed up with the RASC and found himself in the 2nd Boer War, he served a total of 21 years - your welcome to use the form if you want to

GBM_WO96_0885_367_001.jpg

Edited by Mikeywales

On 07/06/2018 at 16:47, Mikeywales said:

This is my great great grandfathers militia attestation form for 2nd Volunteer Batallion Royal West Kent Regiment from 4th December 1899 a few months later he had signed up with the RASC and found himself in the 2nd Boer War, he served a total of 21 years - your welcome to use the form if you want to

GBM_WO96_0885_367_001.jpg

Great, thanks for this. Hoping to gather a lot of personal testimony and stories but right at the start of this at the moment, so all help gratefully received!

• 2 weeks later...

My great-grandfather's brother Allan L Hooper served in the RWK. I can email you what I have on him -

Edited by Michelle Young
Email address removed

• Admin

I have removed your  email address from public display. Members can use private messenger should they wish to communicate.

Michelle, admin team 

• 8 months later...

Hi,

My grandfather William Henry Smith served in the 6th Btn RWK. I can send you the limited information I have on him if you are still interested.

John 

Has this progressed to a website yet? Any updates?

My grandfather was a regular in the 1st Battalion, a Colour Sergeant in 1911, BEF 1914, promoted to officer December 1914 and then served in India. I have some information about him and am researching for more.

Happy to share if you are interested. Let me know.

Peter

Has anybody had any feedback from the originator of this thread? I can add some info, but it seems as if the Guest has gone quiet.

Any update would be appreciated.

Steve.

Mate,

I don't know if this helps but I have a number of these men in the Camel Corps;

Bone    Reginald Andrew         Lt    shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt to 2/Lt RFC att 67 Sqn (1 Sqn) AFC
Coleman    Fred G.    51020    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 ICC? shown 5Co to UK leave 2-19 Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (3024) and Corps of Hussars
Dean    Kenneth    51037    Pte    Tos shown 5Co 5-16 ICC? FGCM 2-3-18 with L/Cpl Young & Pte's Jenkins and Brown Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (2544) and Corps of Hussars
Dovonan    Richard    51014    Sgt    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 ICC? Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (584) and Corps of Hussars
Easton    Frank    6058    Pte    Tos 5Co? 5-16 ICC killed at Rafa shown 2Bn ICC on Thames Memorial as S. Easton Ex East Kent Regt (3149) and 2/4 West Kent Regt (TF/6058)
Eversfield    William R.    51022    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 ICC? Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (3584) and Corps of Hussars
Garnett    William G.    51024    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (3561) and Corps of Hussars
Green    Charles    51023    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (3607) and (13535)
Harvey    Cuthbert    50172    Pte    Tos possibly 9Co? shown 8Co WIA 28-3-18 at Amman died from wounds Ex 1/1 West Kent Yeo (2003) and Corps of Hussars later West Kent Regt (270934) age 25
Hopkins    Edward    51015    Wo2    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 ICC? Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (202616) and Corps of Hussars
Janes    Harold    51025    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 ICC? Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (1890) and Corps of Hussars
Jones    Henry J.    51028    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (2226) and Corps of Hussars
Rich    Henry    51027    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (2531) and Corps of Hussars
Roberts    Hedley    51026    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (3685) and Corps of Hussars
Rowe    John O.    51016    L/Cpl    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 ICC? Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (3618) and Corps of Hussars
Shaw    George A.    2661    L/Cpl    Tos 5Co ICC WIA 27-3-17 face shot at 1st Gaza Ex 2/4 West Kent Regt (TF/2661) (203295) 
Slaughter    Henry C.    51029    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (3409) and Corps of Hussars
Swinford    Frederick HJ    51030    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (2664) and Corps of Hussars
Taylor    John    51031    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (2979) and Corps of Hussars
Vine    Frederick G.    51017    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (2887) and Corps of Hussars
Walter    Edward G.    51033    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 ICC? Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (1708) and Corps of Hussars
White    Frank J.    51034    Pte    Tos 5Co 5-16 shown ICC FGCM 11-3-18 sentenced 60 days FP2 Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (1864) and Corps of Hussars
White    Herbert S.    51035    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt & Royal West Kent Yeomanry (1920) and Corps of Hussars
Wilson    LG        Capt    Tos OC 5Co 26-5-16 to 4-17? (11-16) Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt shown in war dairy
Wooding    Frederick C.    51036    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 ICC? Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (2680) and Corps of Hussars
Woodward    Harry G.    51108    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? shown ICC Ex 2/4 Royal West Kent Regt (2647) and Corps of Hussars

Any details that would help please let me know, also if you have any details on the men who came to the Camel Corps that could help me that would be nice.

Cheers

S.B

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all replies and apologies for not being online for a while for various reasons.

There is now a website at https://royalwestkentsww1.com/ and on twitter @rwkww1

Grateful for any and all comments on both.

Thanks

Matt

On 16/03/2019 at 08:29, PeterHarrison said:

Has this progressed to a website yet? Any updates?

My grandfather was a regular in the 1st Battalion, a Colour Sergeant in 1911, BEF 1914, promoted to officer December 1914 and then served in India. I have some information about him and am researching for more.

Happy to share if you are interested. Let me know.

Peter

Yes please, Peter. You might find out first blog post on India interesting too. 

https://royalwestkentsww1.com/2019/01/20/royal-west-kent-territorials-in-india/

Thank you for the update Matt. I'll have a look at the website and get in touch with the information I have regarding my grandfather. Currently it's all stored away whilst we recover from a sever waterleak in the house and we have the builders in restoring the entire ground floor.

Regards

Peter

Will you include the exploits of the 1st/4th Royal West Kent which was involved in the 3rd Afghan War 100 years ago, before any of the peace treaties were signed in Europe. They were in what was known as O'Dowd's Bolshoi Brigade because as a territorial battalion, they were not best pleased to be retained after the Armistice.  They fought at Spin Boldak on the southern front (Quetta to Kandahar) in May 1919.  The war lasted less than a month and no honours were awarded because Sir Hugh Grant, Secretary of State for India believed "nothing was gained". 

• 1 year later...