Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Duncan Macintyre Grant Ferguson K.O.S.B.

Stevend

Hi

I am researching this officer who I know died of wounds.

I am sure he had a brother in the R.Scots who was killed if anyone can help I would be much appriciated.

You may wish to contact the GWF member Lewis Rogers who I know is researching all the King’s School Worcester Old Boys who perished. The Fergus(s)ons included. I.A.G. Fergusson reached the grand old age of 18.

Edited by Mark1959

His battlefield grave marker is in St Ninian's Church in Castle Douglas see http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1937&mforum=warmemscot

Grab a copy of the photo while you can - before Photobucket deletes it again!

The text reads

UKNIWM Ref: 9028

This is one of 5 original Great War battlefield crosses, now memorials in St Ninian’s Episcopal Church, Castle Douglas at OS Map Ref: NX 765 619
Name: FERGUSON, DUNCAN MACINTYRE GRANT
Initials: D M G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: King's Own Scottish Borderers
Unit Text: 3rd Bn.
Date of Death: 14/05/1915
Additional information: Son of Lily M. and the late Rev. John Grant Ferguson, of 41, Polwarth Terrace, Edinburgh.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 45.
Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Duncan (Grant) Ferguson’s connection with Castle Douglas is that he was studying agriculture at Lochdougan Farm, Castle Douglas prior to the outbreak of war and was well known in the area. It appears that his surname was actually GRANT FERGUSON as that was the name of both parents but is recorded as FERGUSON on his military records.

He was 3rd Bn but attached to 2nd Bn at the time of his death. He died on 14th May 1915 from wounds received at Hill 60 near St Julian (2nd battle of Ypres) on 5th May. His father, a minister, was from Innerleithen and his mother from Edinburgh. His name appears on the Innerleithen memorial but not on the Polwarth memorial in Edinburgh. He does not appear on any other war memorial in the Dumfries area, nor on the Stewartry Roll of Honour.

• 4 years later...