Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Did Guards Officers Wear Current Rank Insignia During Great War?

Wexflyer

Wikipedia, that fount of all knowledge and truth, says that the current system of rank insignia for officers in British guards regiments was only introduced in 1919. That raises the obvious question: so what was the system during WWI? Wiki does not say.  So, can anyone supply the answer?

I am specifically interested in which "stars" were used - the miniatures of the breast stars of various British orders (Garter, St. Andrew, St. Patrick, Bath)

Edited by Wexflyer

The experts are the likes of @Muerrisch and @FROGSMILE but a quick search led me to this page http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=369208  The Foot Gds officers don't seem to be wearing the current style.

I believe that the only change introduced in 1919, or 1920, was the abolition of the rank of brigadier-general, with his crossed sword and baton, and the introduction of the colonel commandant (renamed brigadier in 1928) with his crown and three stars.

The stars or pips for most regiments were those of the Order of the Bath, but the Guards regiments did use those of the Garter, Thistle and St Patrick.

The change from cuff insignia to shoulder insignia in service dress was made during the war, but the Guards and Staff officers had not used cuff insignia anyway.

Ron

7 hours ago, Wexflyer said:

Wikipedia, that fount of all knowledge and truth, says that the current system of rank insignia for officers in British guards regiments was only introduced in 1919. That raises the obvious question: so what was the system during WWI? Wiki does not say.  So, can anyone supply the answer?

I am specifically interested in which "stars" were used - the miniatures of the breast stars of various British orders (Garter, St. Andrew, St. Patrick, Bath)

Wikipedia is quite correct.  The Foot Guards used the standard, Bath Star until 1919, but the Life Guards and Royal Horse Guards had been using special rank stars based upon the Order of the Garter for a great many years.  From 1919 the Foot Guards began to emulate this, with the Grenadiers, Coldstream and Welsh all adopting the same, Garter Star, and the Scots and Irish stars based upon the Orders of the Thistle, and St Patrick, respectively.

Edited by FROGSMILE