Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replica Medals

Retired Dave

I was once interrupted on Remembrance Sunday by a multi badge wearing, merchandise brandishing member of the BL medal police. Clearly eager to seize an opportunity to apprehend an offender I was questioned about whose medals thought I was wearing.  I asked this lady, after the service, whether the BL were considering making a further rule which stated that it was absolutely disrespectful to the fallen and those who survived to question anyone out loud just before the two minute silence is up.  I support the BL but object to rules about personal remembrance and over zealous members keen to display their support via an umbrella and too many poppy baubles.  Apologies as no offence intended but I remain somewhat miffed by such uneducated behaviour on such a day. 

On 01/06/2018 at 23:30, Lawryleslie said:

In my opinion relatives should wear their ancestors medals whenever and wherever they wish to. I have seen young children proudly displaying their Great Great Grandads medals at remembrance services and who cares if they are replica or, heaven forbid, worn on the "wrong" side. It’s the personal act of remembrance that matters and if replica medals help this process then so what. People who get on their high horse about etiquette and tradition should remember why our ancestors fought and respect that freedom of choice. I have medals that my Grandfather won in WW1 and my father in WW2 but choose not to wear them but they are on display at home. I also have my own medals from military service and would  be pleased if my grand children wore them in years to come as an act of family remembrance.

I have a friend whose family medals go back to Salamanca! He has them all displayed at home. I would love to see him wearing them all on Remembrance Day.

On 10/06/2018 at 19:20, trajan said:

I would have thought that the simple matter of wearing a deceased relative's medals on the right hand side would - apart from anything else (i.e., the actual awards) - makes it clear that these are tokens of remembrance, not personal awards. 

Unless your name is David Beckham, when no doubt he would wear them on the left.

On 10/06/2018 at 18:20, trajan said:

I would have thought that the simple matter of wearing a deceased relative's medals on the right hand side would - apart from anything else (i.e., the actual awards) - makes it clear that these are tokens of remembrance, not personal awards. 

Why does it matter where they are worn? A young lad wearing his Grandads Medals could not possibly be mistaken as the owner nor, in fact,  could an older person. I’m proud that my Grandfather and Father fought in both World Wars to ensure we now have freedom to choose how we live our lives and we certainly don’t need  directives from the RBL telling us when or where we can show our ancestors medals and awards. I choose not to wear their medals but have them displayed prominently in my home.

• 1 month later...

My pov. The RBL was probably once a fine organization in the past. But at some point that changed. They should hang their head in shame for a multiply number of reasons but that's off topic. 

I say wear them. No one is trying to pass them off as their own. Most people will know a ww1 group and ww2 group. No one thinks " oh yes, he earned those" or "he didn't earn those, Walter"

The serial Walt's do get jealous

Get those old family medals out there

Edited by graeme