Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

heatherannej

Remembrance Day c1923

heatherannej

This is a real long long-shot but I am wondering if anyone recognises this location ... it is better to ask than not ... just in case there is just one person out there knows exactly where it is.

On the reverse is written "Remembrance Day. 1922-23 Nov. 11th. British Legion.Wear a Flanders Poppy."   I have tried taken close-ups of the tin for the date and it would seem more like the digit 3 at the end of the year, rather than a 2 ... but what's a year between friends!  

Many thanks in advance, Heather

Poppy_c1923_RemembranceDay_PoppySellers_HAJ.JPG

gem22

I can't be sure as the image is a bit close up but it reminds me of Bolton Town Hall.

Garth

heatherannej
On 02/06/2018 at 10:53, gem22 said:

I can't be sure as the image is a bit close up but it reminds me of Bolton Town Hall.

Garth

Sorry for the belated response, Garth ... thanks for taking the trouble.  I checked it out ... it is those pesky pillars, I keep seeing them, but if the building has them, they are further apart I think.  Thank you all the same.  Heather

DavidOwen

Heather

Have you tried asking the Legion?

David

Magnumbellum

For what it is worth, I suspect that the title on the reverse long post-dates the photo itself. The standard terminology between the wars was Armistice Day, Remembrance Day came into use from 1945, when "Armistice Day" was seen as excluding reference to WW2.

The scene certainly resonates the early 1920s.

RaySearching

Poppy_c1923_RemembranceDay_PoppySellers_HAJ.JPG

Poppy Lady Madame Guérin’s Salt Lake City Society Belles. The Salt Lake Herald Republican, 11 April 1920.

Are some of these  the same females (From a website  the op has contributed to)

Nevertheless I suspect looking at attire worn the location is most likely not in the UK but the USA   

although i may be wrong once again

Ray 

CountryJohn
On 22/06/2018 at 12:52, Magnumbellum said:

For what it is worth, I suspect that the title on the reverse long post-dates the photo itself. The standard terminology between the wars was Armistice Day, Remembrance Day came into use from 1945, when "Armistice Day" was seen as excluding reference to WW2.

I learn something new every day, but the above apparently isn't the case in this instance.  The slogan "Remembrance Day, November 11th, Wear a Flanders Poppy" was specific to 1923's poppy appeal: -

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C102843

CJ

daggers

The words “Remembrance Day” are visible on one of the sellers’ Trays.

D

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

I think the collecting tin on the right also has those words,  then beneath are 'British Legion'.