Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembrance Day c1923

heatherannej

This is a real long long-shot but I am wondering if anyone recognises this location ... it is better to ask than not ... just in case there is just one person out there knows exactly where it is.

On the reverse is written "Remembrance Day. 1922-23 Nov. 11th. British Legion.Wear a Flanders Poppy."   I have tried taken close-ups of the tin for the date and it would seem more like the digit 3 at the end of the year, rather than a 2 ... but what's a year between friends!  

Many thanks in advance, Heather

Poppy_c1923_RemembranceDay_PoppySellers_HAJ.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2018 at 10:53, gem22 said:

I can't be sure as the image is a bit close up but it reminds me of Bolton Town Hall.

Garth

Sorry for the belated response, Garth ... thanks for taking the trouble.  I checked it out ... it is those pesky pillars, I keep seeing them, but if the building has them, they are further apart I think.  Thank you all the same.  Heather

For what it is worth, I suspect that the title on the reverse long post-dates the photo itself. The standard terminology between the wars was Armistice Day, Remembrance Day came into use from 1945, when "Armistice Day" was seen as excluding reference to WW2.

The scene certainly resonates the early 1920s.

Poppy_c1923_RemembranceDay_PoppySellers_HAJ.JPG

Poppy Lady Madame Guérin’s Salt Lake City Society Belles. The Salt Lake Herald Republican, 11 April 1920.

Are some of these  the same females (From a website  the op has contributed to)

Nevertheless I suspect looking at attire worn the location is most likely not in the UK but the USA   

although i may be wrong once again

Ray 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2018 at 12:52, Magnumbellum said:

For what it is worth, I suspect that the title on the reverse long post-dates the photo itself. The standard terminology between the wars was Armistice Day, Remembrance Day came into use from 1945, when "Armistice Day" was seen as excluding reference to WW2.

I learn something new every day, but the above apparently isn't the case in this instance.  The slogan "Remembrance Day, November 11th, Wear a Flanders Poppy" was specific to 1923's poppy appeal: -

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C102843

CJ

• 7 months later...
On 22/06/2018 at 12:52, Magnumbellum said:

The standard terminology between the wars was Armistice Day, Remembrance Day came into use from 1945, when "Armistice Day" was seen as excluding reference to WW2.

Apologies for the very late pick-up of ALL these kind comments ... what with one thing and another my enquiry became buried within my mind :-(   

Ref the above quote about "Remembrance Day" ... Haig seems to have been given credit for suggesting the name and it was so-called right from the first 1921 'Poppy Day', when Madame Guérin's French-made poppies were distributed.  A nephew achieved a high res of the photograph and that has brought up the date on the Collecting Tin as 1923.  Thanks again for all the contributions ... thought I should acknowledge all your help (better late than never!) and give closure to it, well to the date at least!  Heather

P.S. 

On 22/06/2018 at 13:30, RaySearching said:

Are some of these  the same females (From a website  the op has contributed to)

Interesting pic ... does it date to 1921, or perhaps even 1920?   The women are American Legion (Auxiliary) ... you can just about make out the words "American Legion" on the ladies' sashes.  The sashes were a trademark of Madame Guérin's 'Poppy Day' sellers' "uniform" ... 

Could you please post the high Res images?

It just goes to show the importance of a high res image, the answer to a question very often lies in the original photo.