Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification

rfishbobs

Hi

Would anyone be able to identify the Uniform below.  Apologies in advance if its not ww1, but any help would be much appreciated.

BB 20 E?(5).jpg

Canadian?  RCA cap badge similar to RA cap badge.  The other cap badge has the look of a maple leaf based badge and the collar dogs aren't clear enough (for me anyway) which may help closer ID so whether Royal Canadian Artillery - not sure.

Army Service Corps (ASC) wearing the final pattern of blue frock with chest pockets, white facing collar and trefoil cuff decoration.  It has been confused by a RA cap sat on top of his ASC cap.

Edited by FROGSMILE

25 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Army Service Corps (ASC) wearing the final pattern of blue frock with chest pockets, white facing collar and trefoil cuff decoration.  It has been confused by a RA cap sat on top of his ASC cap.

Agreed, beat me to it FROGSMILE:thumbsup:

Chris

Thanks guys really appreciate your help.  its just possible i may be able to track him down now,  will let you know.

1 hour ago, rfishbobs said:

Thanks guys really appreciate your help.  its just possible i may be able to track him down now,  will let you know.

Glad to help.

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

Agreed, beat me to it FROGSMILE:thumbsup:

Chris

Yes, it was good to see such a clear photo as images of late pattern frocks are quite rare for all arms, given that the 2nd Boer War followed almost immediately, and the issue of SD quickly superseded the old orders of undress uniform.  Rare too, to see the ASC girdle worn with the frock, rather than tunic.

Edited by FROGSMILE

51 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, it was good to see such a clear photo as images of late pattern frocks are quite rare for all arms, given that the 2nd Boer War followed almost immediately, and the issue of SD quickly superseded the old orders of undress uniform.  Rare too, to see the ASC girdle worn with the frock, rather than tunic.

Are the girdles a similar two buckle fittings like the present day stable belt?

Just as a matter of interest please

Chris

Thanks again everyone especially Frogsmile.  To be honest i am clueless about this sort of thing.  given the level of detail you have given, are you able to put a range of dates around it?

my family have been working on uncovering family history for a member of our family and have discovered literally hundreds of family photos during the period 1910 to 1935.  Some  of them are Military, but many are just family pictures although some are interesting old cars and motorbikes.

Will see if i can find any other military shots.

Although i now doubt we will identify Mr X  it does now tell us who he wasn't,

many thanks once again

6 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Are the girdles a similar two buckle fittings like the present day stable belt?

Just as a matter of interest please

Chris

Yes, Chris, they are very similar and were introduced after the 2nd Boer War to the RA and ASC.  The RA Staff Band continued to use them in lieu of the normal ‘stable belt’ until quite recently.  They are fastened at the waist by 3 yellow brass olivets through cord loops.

2 hours ago, rfishbobs said:

Thanks again everyone especially Frogsmile.  To be honest i am clueless about this sort of thing.  given the level of detail you have given, are you able to put a range of dates around it?

my family have been working on uncovering family history for a member of our family and have discovered literally hundreds of family photos during the period 1910 to 1935.  Some  of them are Military, but many are just family pictures although some are interesting old cars and motorbikes.

Will see if i can find any other military shots.

Although i now doubt we will identify Mr X  it does now tell us who he wasn't,

many thanks once again

The visual evidence, especially the RA cap with peak stood on top of its ASC equivalent tells us the photo was taken after 1906 and before 1914.  The use of a frock (rather than a tunic) for walking-out-dress suggests that the subject is probably a member of the Territorial Force of part-time citizen soldiers.  Rather lengthy shoulder titles that are just about discernible seem to bear that out.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, Chris, they are very similar and were introduced after the 2nd Boer War to the RA and ASC.  The RA Staff Band continued to use them in lieu of the normal ‘stable belt’ until quite recently.  They are fastened at the waist by 3 yellow brass olivets through cord loops.

Cheers FROGSMILE, much appreciated:)

Chris

Memo to self - resist the temptation to join in a uniform identification thread - the heavy artillery expertise in the subject on the forum which could, I am sure, identify a regiment from the markings on a man's sock, makes it no place for amateurs!

Max

Couldnt agree more.  i am amazed at how good you guys are.

With that in mind can i try another one please.?  Sorry about the cut out1178967259_BB40Eustace.jpg.b28c1e5a83f69048139cbb6df9c167c5.jpg

Also Army Service Corps, this time its an officer, bronze service dress cap badge and collar badges.

is this the same chap as before, but with a commission? 

Chris

Chris, to be honest I dont know.  We have number of pictures like these and we are trying to put a huge puzzle together.  my wife who is far better than me at this sort of thing tells me they are different people.   I really am fascinated by your replies and probably have a dozen or so more similar photos.  I really am very appreciative, but  please tell me to stop i this becomes a problem

Please don't stop, its never a problem! It's what the forum is all about.

We all love helping out, please, please show all the photos if you wish, the people on this forum are fantastic at working things out and helping.

Cheers

Chris

The other thing is, if you have any names or name possibilities, then it might be good to Start a new thread, but in the Soldiers part of the forum.

1st pic, Navy, Cheif maybe, not my thing.

2nd pic, don't know the regiment, but he's got a signaler badge, crossed flags, and a marksmanship badge, crossed rifles.

Chris

Thanks Chris will do.  Have made a small donation to say thank you for all the help you guys have given. unfortunately i dont have any names for these guys.

Second picture seems to show either, a Colour Sergeant (infantry) or a Staff Sergeant (all the other arms) as he wears 3-stripes on each sleeve with brass crowns above.  I agree with Chris’s other comments.

The first man appears to be a Petty Officer, as he wears ‘fore and aft’ (rather than ‘square’) rig, but has no cuff rings.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I think the first picture shows an Apprentice or Cadet in the Merchant Service, as he has no rank indication on his sleeves, he could be Deck or Engineering but wears the cap badge of the British Standard Uniform first seen in use in 1919. 

TH

39 minutes ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

I think the first picture shows an Apprentice or Cadet in the Merchant Service, as he has no rank indication on his sleeves, he could be Deck or Engineering but wears the cap badge of the British Standard Uniform first seen in use in 1919. 

TH

You make a really good point, TH. I can see now that he does not wear a P.O.s cap badge and I am kicking myself!