Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Infantry Brigade reduced to 3 battalions: Why did it stay that way?

rolt968

As far as I can understand it an infantry brigade was reduced from 4 to 3 infantry battalions in 1918 to address the exigencies of the time. Why did it stay that way afterwards? Was a return to 4 battalions considered?

RM

I have read that some officers in the British Army felt a 3 Battalion brigade would be a more flexible organization then the 4 Battalion brigade and want the army to switch to it earlier in the war. I may have more info on this I will be back when I can locate it.

I suspect that the financial stringency of the 1920s may have had something to do with not changing back to four battalions, so by the start of WW2 the Army was used to training on the three-battalion organisation, and simply continued it into the war years.

Ron

It didn't stay that way. Bde structures have changed many many times since 1918 and are still changing.  

The book "the Swordbearers" has "Older British military opinion regretted the change; the best minds welcomed it for the same reasons that the germans had adopted it-as making for greater firepower and flexibility." Note in this reorganization each Infantry division had a machine gun battalion added to it.