Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancers

Gareth Davies

I need to become an expert on the 9th Lancers (who were in 2nd Cavalry Bde in 1st Cavalry Div) and the 12th Lancers (who were in 5th Cavalry Bde in 2nd Cavalry Div) in pretty short order.  The LLT lists the following histories.  Are they any good?  Are there alternatives (clearly Anglesey is a must read).  And are there any Bde histories?

9th The Queen’s Royal Lancers 1715-1936 by Major E.W. Shephard (Aldershot: Gale & Polden, 1929)

The 9th (Queen’s Royal) Lancers: Roll of Honour, 1914-1918 by R. Raymond Walsh and Jean M. Walsh (Blackburn: T.H.C.L. Books, 1999)

The 12th Royal Lancers in France, August 17th, 1914-November 11th, 1918 by H.V.S. Charrington (1921)

History of the 12th Royal Lancers 1715-1945 by Captain P.F. Stuart MC (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1950)

I have Shephard's book and like it very much. Not aware of any Brigade histories (or divisional, sadly, the cavalry being very remiss). I don't know Charrington's or Stuart's books, but I am always wary of post 2nd World War 'pot boiler' histories.

A book of which I'm rather fond was produced a couple of years ago by the amalgamated .75 Lancers, Spearmen, which I see Amazon have for a mere £133.19. On the basis that Lady D might kick up a stink about that price, if you contacted any chum who was prepeared to loan you his copy, who knows what might happen? Indeed, for the cost of postage, that chum might even loan you Shephard's book too. You just never know.

Thanks Steven.  I presume that the Charrington (who I vaguely know) who wrote Spearmen is a descendent of the earlier Charrington.  I see N&M have it on sale for a deep sea diver. 

The loan suggestion/offer is very kind, thank you.  I am in Warminster later today and in Aldershot later in the week and I am hopeful that the Army libraries there will have copies that I can borrow. But I may well yet come begging.  

Thank you Charles.

Don't forget the Inter Library Loan program as an option too. I've gotten some books I could never have hoped to buy or even see though this great service. Good luck.

9th The Queen’s Royal Lancers 1715-1936 by Major E.W. Shephard (Aldershot: Gale & Polden, 1929) and

History of the 12th Royal Lancers 1715-1945 by Captain P.F. Stuart MC (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1950)

are online on the regimental website, although I don't know how easy to read, as there is  a watermark on the pages.

https://www.9th12thlancersmuseum.org/archive/journals/regimental-histories

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you.