Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

(Temp) Lieutenant Albert James Dorey 17th Bn County of London Regiment

Tavern Druid

Hi Forum

I have been trying to help, without any success, a friend to find out about his ancestor.

He knows very little about him.

In the 1911 census he was a Shipping Clerk living  at 11 Hurstbourne Road, Forest Hill with his wife of 12 years and three children, Eric, Ivy and Marjorie.

He was born in 1870/71 in Hornsey London

I have found him in Kellys and the London Post office Directories living at 13 (1907) then later at 11 Hurstbourne Roard Forest Hill London SE23 (Lewisham) where he still was in the 1921 Kellys Post Office Law Directory.

The only informatyon that we can find on his war service is in three London Gazettes.

LG 22 Jan 1917 17th Bn - To be Temp Lts  Albert James Dorey (Page 827)

LG 21 December 1918 17th Bn 17th Bn - To be Temp Lts -  Lt Albert James Dorey resigns his commision. 2nd Nov. 1918 (page 15023?)

LG 10 June 1919 17th Bn - To be Temp Lts   Albert James Dorey (Late temp Lt.) to be Hon. Lt.

I have not found a service record, a MiC or an entry in the Medal Rolls.

When the war started he would have been about 43 or 44 years old. So to old really.

We are guessing that he must have been in the TF before the war and that is why he was serving.

If I'm correct there was one Bn of this Rgt that stayed at "home" and that is where we think he was serving.

I know this is a bit of a challanged but I convinced someone on the forum will know something about this.

Many thanks

David

Probably did not go overseas due to age as you surmise. However if he did & no MIC he may never have applied for his medals,. In WW1 officers or their next of kin had to apply for the medals to be issued. Many did not bother so even with qualifying service there is no record of the medals they would be entitled to have.

Mr. Google's Apparatus shows an Albert James Dorey  featured in a magazine called "The Gymnasium"- The details should come up. Alas, the listing is from a professional ephemera dealer selling the info. from this magazine- I cannot find an institutional holding for this magazine,which is unusual.  As he is described as a physical fitness instructor, then perhaps that is why he was commissioned quite late in age and apparently not served overseas- My guess is that if he is the same man, then he would have served with a training or home battalion to sharpen up fitness. I have a man of similar age similarly commissioned in the Hampshire Regiment  past the age of 40- a a Captain in the Merchant Navy in peacetime- I suspect again that commissions of older men for home service like this were for them to act as trainers.

On 28/05/2018 at 22:53, Loader said:

Probably did not go overseas due to age as you surmise. However if he did & no MIC he may never have applied for his medals,. In WW1 officers or their next of kin had to apply for the medals to be issued. Many did not bother so even with qualifying service there is no record of the medals they would be entitled to have.

Hi

Thanks Loader.

My friends has not found any medals maybe thats not that unusual but it's a possiblity he did not claim them.

Interesting about the magazine article.

We have not found anything to indicate he was anything other than a shipping clerk, but you never know.

I will have a search to if the "The Gymnasium" is available.

But it leads me to the possibility that he may have served earlier  and perhaps has a service reord from pre 1900.

Thank you both for this information.

David