Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help Identify Officer's Name

John Beech

Evening all

This officer served with the RDC and was based at Kegworth Camp in Nottinghamshire. He is mainly shown on disciplinary sheets in Service Records as both a Second Lieutenant and Lieutenant. His name appears to be S. Sintwell / Sintwall or a variation on this. I have tried the Officers Files on Discovery and also the London Gazette but cannot identify him

Anyone like to hazard a guess as to his surname?

Regards

John

Officer Name Enquiry.jpg

Edited by John Beech
Additional Information

I would have said Sintany or Sintary 

closest I could get was Santana or Suntan on ancestry 

Edited by chaz

• Admin

John, have you any more examples of the name/signature to share with us?

I am struggling to decipher it, I can't even make up my mind whether the surname starts with an S or perhaps an E or maybe something else? I went through all 500+ Royal Defence Corps officer records at TNA and couldn't spot any that looked like likely candidates.

I did discover that wildcard * searches work in those records, something I didn't know before.

It could be Sentance, as I think your getting the L from the word underneath included on the end of the surname, 

Den

• Admin

John, I have had a look at some random dates re Hart's Army Lists online but haven't come up with anything worth mentioning, however a date range would help narrow that search if you can oblige?

David

According to the London Gazette there was a Sidney Sentance who became a Temporary 2 Lt. in the Labour Corps in August 1918, and who relinquished his commission in January 1920.

Martin

Evening All

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will copy another example and see if that helps.

DavidOwen the date range would be probably after April 29th 1916,  most LG entries show them being appointed officers in the RDC as of that date as that was when the Corps was created. The officers I have identified at the camp were often already officers in Supernumetary Companies of the 4th and 5th Battalions Leicesters or commissioned directly into the RDC.

Tootrock thanks for the suggestion but he was already with 156th Company by 1918 and was an RDC officer so unlikely to have been then been commissioned into the Labour Corps. 

Regards

John 

Edited by John Beech

Evening All

I have attached a second signature which I have darken to see if it makes it clearer. Those officers appointed to the RDC on 29th April, are shown on the LG of 27th June from page 6423 to 6430 when it moves on to officers in RDC Observer Companies but there does not appear an obvious candidate, so he might have been appointed after the initial batch of officers.

Regards

John

Second Signature.jpg

Edited by John Beech

• Admin

Is the second signature also believed to be Lieutenant / 2nd Lt or could it be any rank?

I think I can see Alfred as the first name (possibly Wilfred?) and the surname beginning with C and ending in D?

Sometimes with these black / white images reversing the colours may make it easier to see, so I have played with signature 1 and got these - still can't work out what it is though!

Officer name paint inverted - copy 1.jpg

Officer name paint inverted.jpg

• Admin

Re second signature there is an A E Gerard listed as a Lieutenant in the Observer Companies in the August 1918 Army List. Nothing else seems close in that list.

Might it say "Bn Surgeon"" under that signature?

DavidOwen

Thanks for your perseverance. The Observer Companies were separate from the Protection Companies and 156th Company were definitely Protection. In addition, the company didn't have access to a Bn. Surgeon, they used the camp doctor at Kegworth, Lieutenant Douglas James Bedford, who was a GP from Kegworth in peace time. Anything more serious and men were sent to No.5 Northern General Hospital at Leicester.

The entry above his name is 'certified correct' and appears on many of the surviving records. His name is definitely S. S, unfortunately it is probable that we won't discover what.

Regards

John

• Admin

John

Thank you for your patience with me, apologies I had read the second signature as being someone different - my mistake.

Here are some "S. S" officers I have found so far looking at 1919 and 1918 lists as below

Lt. S R Shutte 17 April 1918 (July 19) 2Lt 17 Oct 16 (March 17)

Lt. S G Swan 18 April 1918 (July 19) 2Lt 18 Oct 16 (March 17)

2Lt S C Sweeting date unclear (Nov 18) 24 May 1917 (April 18)

Lt S A Smith 30 June 15 (October 16)

Edit - Now done all the lists as above and these are the only ones I have found. 

David

Edited by DavidOwen
added March 17, Oct 16 & April 18

Evening David

Admire your persistence!

I already have Sweeting as an officer with 156th Company. I will look at the surviving service records again and see if I can find a known signature of his for comparison. His full name was Saumarez Charles Sweeting. He was a Cambridge graduate and their biography lists him as serving in the RDC with 59th and 10th Companies but no mention of 156th!

None of the other names match the signature. Will check Sweeting out and come back to you.

Regards 

John

Edited by John Beech

Evening All

Had a look at a different service record where the signature was identified as Suamaretz Charles Sweeting and I am increasingly thinking that he is the above signature, unless of course someone knows different .............

Regards

John

Edited by John Beech

• Admin
2 minutes ago, John Beech said:

Evening All

Had a look at a different service record where the signature was identified as Suamaretz Charles Sweeting and I am increasingly thinking that he is the above signature, unless of course someone knows different .............

Regards

John

Well if they do John then the Army Lists have missed them (unless someone signed using just a middle initial?)

David