Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

'Washington's battle for a World War One memorial'

Uncle George

2 hours ago, David Filsell said:

How strange the last entrant into the war will also be late in a suitable national war memorial

Were they after the Greeks?

Although there is not a WW1 Memorial in Washington DC, there is the National WW1 Museum & Memorial in Kansas City, and it is truly outstanding. A world-class museum that covers the entire period from 1914 ('why the war began') and through to the immediate post-war period, so not just the US involvement.

Fantastic artefacts, excellent interpretation and presentation.

The Museum recently had John Singer Segent's mammoth painting 'Gassed' on loan from the IWM. 

Mike

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:15, MKC said:

Although there is not a WW1 Memorial in Washington DC, there is the National WW1 Museum & Memorial in Kansas City, and it is truly outstanding. A world-class museum that covers the entire period from 1914 ('why the war began') and through to the immediate post-war period, so not just the US involvement.

Fantastic artefacts, excellent interpretation and presentation.

The Museum recently had John Singer Segent's mammoth painting 'Gassed' on loan from the IWM. 

Mike

Seconded. I fully intend to return for another visit one day.

When my flight from the UK landed in Chicago and I had to go through Border Control, I was asked where my first night in the US would be. When I replied "Kansas City," the response was "Kansas City? What's there?"