Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gewehr 98 bolt markings?

Jools mckenna

I picked this up recently and wondered what these markings mean. (sorry about the image quality but the second photo is 7166)

WP_20180527_17_33_27_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180527_17_32_37_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180527_17_44_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20180527_17_44_45_Pro.jpg

On 27/05/2018 at 19:48, Jools mckenna said:

WP_20180527_17_44_31_Pro.jpg

That looks to me to be a German Fraktur or inspector's mark, a full crown (English ones are not puffed out like that) over a letter, but I can't say anything about the rest.

7 hours ago, trajan said:

That looks to me to be a German Fraktur or inspector's mark, a full crown (English ones are not puffed out like that) over a letter, but I can't say anything about the rest.

Thanks, I had come to a similar conclusion (saw some similar markings on bayonets and rifles) but its good to have a similar opinion.

The 7166 is probably the bolt number. Originally this would have matched the rifle serial number and, on regular production mausers almost every component (including screws!) is also numbered with the last two digits (in this case this would be 66) So some of the other marks (on the extractor for example) may be 66 also.

Chris

• 7 months later...
On 27/05/2018 at 17:42, Jools mckenna said:

WP_20180527_17_33_27_Pro (2).jpg

Does anyone know what the X O mean? 

The Germans were pretty fussy about marking bits and pieces of rifles, but I can't trace an "X/O". Would you post a full photograph showing exactly where it is for this non-rifle person? That will give me a clue as to where to look on the German diagrams

10 hours ago, trajan said:

The Germans were pretty fussy about marking bits and pieces of rifles, but I can't trace an "X/O". Would you post a full photograph showing exactly where it is for this non-rifle person? That will give me a clue as to where to look on the German diagrams

I agree. It's difficult to tell without scale but it appears to be on the top side (or perhaps the underside) of the bolt handle on the squared flat where the handle is attached to the bolt body. I suppose I could be way off and it could be the entire receiver shown here!

Chris

NB There are lots of markings on weapons that relate to various stages of production, the precise meaning of which is not known with any specificity today, these often take the form of single letters or symbols. While most of the final stage inspections/proofings are known those that refer to earlier stages in the production process remain mostly opaque.

Edited by 4thGordons

2 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

I agree. It's difficult to tell without scale but it appears to be on the top side (or perhaps the underside) of the bolt handle on the squared flat where the handle is attached to the bolt body. 

Yes, your right, it is the bit where the handle is attached to the body. It's on the side that would face the user.

4G is quite right.

There are all sorts of inspection marks to be found on rifles and bayonets (under the grips). But the normal regulation marks are usually numbers to keep the parts together, and the inspector's marks, which are usually in 'Gothic' script'