Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Assistance with wounded aerial gunner please

adam1981

Hello all,

I am researching a 223943 John Knight who served as an aerial gunner with 211 and 49 squadron in 1918. The service record states 'M.G.Wd Lt thigh fracture femur'. I would be very interested to know any information regarding how or when John was wounded, or who he was flying with, if in deed he was flying? 

I am not very experienced in ready RAF service records or research.

If John was an aerial gunner as his record indicates, i did not realise that Private ranks had this role?

Any help much appreciated,

Adam

Not giving the date makes it a little more of a challenge, but I think I've found him.  According to "The Sky their Battlefield II" on 19 May 1918 DH9 serial No. C6181 of 49 squadron on a bombing mission was in combat with German D-types near Harbonnieres at 7.15pm, was hit in the engine and forced to land at Rainneville (Lt CG Capel wounded and 1AM J. Knight wounded).  A DH9 was claimed by Vfw W. Gabriel of Jasta 11 at 10pm NE of Marcelcave.

My understanding is that it was not unusual for non-officer ranks to act as gunners in cases such as bombing where an observer officer was not needed. There was a pay incentive.

According to Capel's casualty form, he suffered a GSW to the left upper arm.  He had been with the Squadron since 10th March.  https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/2618

The AIR 1/855 report for the aircraft quoted on airhistory.org.uk states "f/l Rainniville after attack by enemy aircraft during bombing Bray. Lt CG Capel inj/223943 1AM J Knight inj [Regt no. not shown]"  http://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/files/C1-C9999.csv

Hope this helps

Piers

Edited by pierssc

Hello

Thank you very much for this fantastic research, it is very much appreciated. Starting to build up a real story (having read up about W. Gabriel also). There is one matter which is confusing me, this is that on further 'Googling' following your new information I have found the website at the link below, which lists J. Knight as an American Observer from the USAS, whereas the John Knight I am researching is from Edinburgh according to his service record? could this be a mistake on the website below?

http://www.49squadron.co.uk/losses/ww1_losses

Thanks again

Adam

The location of Capel and Knight's forced landing, Rainneville, is a few miles north-east of Amiens and they came down at 19:10 (British time)/20:10 (German time).  

There were four victories credited to German pilots - 

Vzfw Willi Gabriel, Jasta 11, north-east of Marcelcave at 19:10/20:10

Ltn Werner Steinhauser, Jasta 11, Villers Bretonneux at 19:10/20:10

Ltn d R Franz Bachér, Jasta 3, Klein Zillebeke at 19:25/20:25

Ltn d R Paul Strahle, Jasta 57, Houthem - Kemmel at 19:30/20:30

Three crews from No 49 Squadron became casualties -

Lieut N Braithwaite (Wia) & 2nd-Lieut F P Bellingham (Wia) in DH4 B7649

Lieut F D Nevin (Kia) & 23509 Sergt H Barfoot (Kia) in DH4 D1002

Lieut C G Capel (Wia) & 1/AM J Knight (Wia) in DH4 C6181

Graeme

I once read of a gunner in the RAF who was listed as a ASC man. I wonder if he just volunteered to go along as he might have had some MG training. As you say if no observer or bombing expertise needed then a gunner might be such a man not normally air crew.

Do you think its reasonable to assume the 49 squadron website is incorrect and the J. Knight recorded is likely to be 223943 John Knight?

The Sturtivant & Page book  " The DH4/ DH9 File " also show that on 17th May 1918 in DH9 C6181 Lt CG Capel and 1/Pte J Knight had one Scout OOC and on the day they were both wounded 19th May 1918 they also had a further two Scouts OOC.

Steve

Adam, the airhistory reference I gave you quotes  a report at the National Archives which states that 223943 1AM J Knight was the injured observer.  He’s the guy you’re looking for, right?  There is a separate reference for him but under K of course, in the personnel section, as well as the report re the aircraft.   I would be inclined to question where the 49 Squadron website got its information from, if you have reason to think there is a discrepancy as to his birthplace.  

Edited by pierssc

Pierssc, thank you very much for confirming that, it is the 49 squadron website that are in error, I will email them. 

Thank you also every one else. I am a novice to RFC/RAF research.

A further matter, not great war I know, is in researching a Flight Lieutenant who served in the 60's and 70's. He was awarded a Queens commendation for valuable service in the air. All I have on him is that taken from the London Gazette. I assume barring an obituary the research opportunity is very limited?